tight mountain trails

i'm going to be gearing down for some slow technical trails and would like to do 12 fronth 51 back, how many links will i need?

i'm going to be gearing down for some slow technical trails and would like to do 12 fronth 51 back, how many links will i need?

What bike do you have?

400,426,450 ???

year???

oops, 2008 450

I have the exact same gearing on an 06 450. The stock stretched out 120 link works fine. I need to replace it over the winter, so I'll probably order one with a few extra links just to make sure. Gearing is perfect for Haspin Acres in southern Indiana

Edited by YamaJet
z

In the first place, never use a stretched out chain unless you don't like the sprockets you have and just want get rid of them.

Second, the stock '06 chain is 114 links, not 120. There's a good chance of the stock length chain working with the 12/51 combo, though.

I only used the old chain to check out the gearing before I committed to buying a new one, in case I had to make more changes.

Perhaps I was thinking about one of my other bikes when I threw out the 120 links? I'll check.

The other thing I did was install a flywheel weight and a G2 throttle tube with a 400 cam which made the bike much more rideable in the tight woods.

I usually buy a 120 and cut it to fit. Maybe that's where you got it from.

I usually buy a 120 and cut it to fit. Maybe that's where you got it from.

Must have been. I checked the manual and there it was, 113 links plus a master=114 links

Thanks