how many hours before top end rebuild?

Your manual should have some guidance, interestingly enough mine isnt on an hrly sched, it's more of tanks of gas type sched, which should really throw fuel on the fire for the anal Internet mechanics. Comes in handy for me though, I usually get fuel 30 liters at a time, so I make a big mark on the garage wall, add them up for a simple maintenance schedule.

Really you'll find a ton of opinions on here regarding maintenance, it'll completely screw you up, do it as per the manual you'll be well on the conservative side, do it 1 1/2 times the manual you'll fall into my lazy ass territory.

easily 100-200 hrs. it really depends on how ya ride. The nikasil plating on the KTM's really holds up to some abuse. I have easily 350+ hrs on my bike with stock nikasil plating.

20 hrs is just getting broken in. LOL ?

+1......

I changed my last 300 piston at 130 hrs and only did it because I was in the engine. It didn't need it.

Current 09 has near 100 hrs and I'l be looking at 150 plus.

85 hours for me last time and it was due.

yep, it's all in how ya ride. I believe most of us have a mental clock, knowing how we hard we ride and the abuse the bike takes. I don't have an hour meter, so I have to kind of use this method to determine when. I know how hard I ride and approximately how often and long I ride.

Spending more time at higher speeds and full throttle is likely harder on engines than twice that time skirting thru the trees.

yep, it's all in how ya ride. I believe most of us have a mental clock, knowing how we hard we ride and the abuse the bike takes. I don't have an hour meter, so I have to kind of use this method to determine when. I know how hard I ride and approximately how often and long I ride.

Spending more time at higher speeds and full throttle is likely harder on engines than twice that time skirting thru the trees.

I think the higher speed terrain (higher RPMs for longer periods of time), high heat, and moon dust are what reduce piston life.?

It's because I ride like an old woman. ?

:smirk:Well I know that's not true. Once I get healed-up from my latest digger let's go ride:thumbsup: Here's what happened last week while I was out solo:

bruised.jpg

Here's the "tip over" that caused it:

http://vimeo.com/17226771

Amazingly that bruise does not hurt at all. It's numb. What really hurts is my chest where I landed on the rocks. Cracked a couple of ribs and dislocated a couple at the sternum. OUCH. My shiny new orange bike is sitting in the garage crying.

:smirk:Well I know that's not true. Once I get healed-up from my latest digger let's go ride:thumbsup: Here's what happened last week while I was out solo:

[ATTACH]15105[/ATTACH]

Amazingly that bruise does not hurt at all. It's numb. What really hurts is my chest where I landed on the rocks. Cracked a couple of ribs and dislocated a couple at the sternum. OUCH. My shiny new orange bike is sitting in the garage crying.

Rub some dirt on it and get well soon. Taking my bike in to Kevin tomorrow for a top end, not going to push it any more. ?

[ATTACH]15105[/ATTACH]

dang cubera, sorry to hear that and hated watching it. You need to come out east and ride with us. ? The trees help break those type of falls and their fallen leaves cover the rocks and pad your fall just a little. LOL

dang cubera, sorry to hear that and hated watching it. You need to come out east and ride with us. :ride: The trees help break those type of falls and their fallen leaves cover the rocks and pad your fall just a little. LOL

I would love to get to NC and ride! Ever since Yanni started posting pics pf his adventures I've wanted to get out there and ride. I'll admit those green things (trees) freak me out a little though:lol:??:blah: