slider chain problem 2010

imageshack.usHi guys! Is there someone that have seen the same problem as me with the slider chain. My problem is my chain eats the slider chain and then it has started to eat the swingarm also. My chain is a Renthal R3 oring always well adjusted like the manuel shop. The bike as only 10 hours and I already have a big mess. Have you ever seen something like that. Let me know and thank you very much!!

No Pic?

There are some advice on chain sliders in here already, for example putting silicone under the slider to stop it moving completly.

The 2010 has a foam lined slider which seems to work on mine. No problems here.

The chain slider does seem to be made of a softer material on the 2010. I have noticed that it wears faster than previous years as well. At 45 hours mine is needing to be replaced. This is a wear item. Better it than the swingarm right?

Too bad about that sticky keyboard :thumbsup:

This (the slider) is not a new problem. YZF's have been doing that exact same thing for quite a while. My son's '06 ate through one. Just replace the slider and check on it once in a while. The swing arm is not bad enough to worry about.

If you want something tougher, see if TM Designs has one yet.

I had a 07 and at that time it was the slider chain that ate the swingarm by vibration and this time with my 10 is the chain that eats the slider and then the swingarm. And that only in 10 hours. Am I the only one that have the problem with the 2010???

Edited by tech24
ignore, looked at picture wrong

When power is applied to the chain, and the rear suspension is extended, as in the jump situation you suggest, the chain tends to curl around the bottom of the sprocket and roll off along an upward path. Under these circumstances, the chain can strike the lower leading face of the chain slider/swing arm. If this has already happened at 10 hours, I think I'd look into whether the chain is correctly adjusted or not as a first step.

DO NOT tighten the chain beyond the listed minimum in the unless you like broken things.

Does seem a little premature and I looked at pic too quick trying to work and goof off at the same time

Too bad about that sticky keyboard :thumbsup:

This (the slider) is not a new problem. YZF's have been doing that exact same thing for quite a while. My son's '06 ate through one. Just replace the slider and check on it once in a while. The swing arm is not bad enough to worry about.

If you want something tougher, see if TM Designs has one yet.

You're not kidding it NOT a new problem. My '08 has the same issue as my '99 400F . . . figured they have fixed by then.:-o

One thing I found to be a reasonable fix; I found some 1" wide aluminum tape. Taped a BUNCH of plies together, stuck to swingarm, between slider and swingarm. That keeps the plastic slider from wearing at the swingarm.

I had a 07 and at that time it was the slider chain that ate the swingarm by vibration and this time with my 10 is the chain that eats the slider and then the swingarm. And that only in 10 hours. Am I the only one that have the problem with the 2010???

The foam under the slider seems to help with wear on the 2010. I clean under mine after every ride and my bike shows no wear after 30 hours. Probably going to replace it this winter with a tm one.

You guys are missing the point. The OP is not complaining about the slider wearing the top of the swing arm. His problem is that the chain has cut through the slider under the front of the swing arm pivot. Foam won't help.

For the wear on top, this is the way to go:

I have found an even easier solution. Go out and buy some"GOOP" It's sold at Walmart HomeDepot etc. Unbolt the top of the slider and put a bead of GOOP on the bottom of the slider to glue it to the swingarm. Let it set overnight. Your chain slider will NOT move and wear into the swingarm. GOOP is amazing and I use it on all applications that I really want something to stick and hold. Used it to fix a broken case from a thrown chain on an old Honda once. It won't work if gasoline is present though. Hands down blows away most gasket sealers that most people are used to.

HI GUY, i talked with two friends yesterday, one have a 2010 450 and the other have a 2011, both have between 15-20 hours. Both bikes have their slider chain scrap and have eat a little bit the swingarm.Have you looked at your slider???? Let me know.

HI GUY, i talked with two friends yesterday, one have a 2010 450 and the other have a 2011, both have between 15-20 hours. Both bikes have their slider chain scrap and have eat a little bit the swingarm.Have you looked at your slider???? Let me know.

I looked at mine yesterday. Will 30hrs on it I have zero wear in that part of the slider, not even a scratch. I don't don't ride much MX so my rear shock doesn't spend much time fully extended. Are you guys running chain too tight?