Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mjw1

finally had to do a valve adjustment

6 posts in this topic

After 12 hard years on my 1999 yz400f i have to do a valve adjustment the intake are all tight by .001 and one exaust is tight by .002 the other one is .001. I was hoping to retire the bike this year but with funds being tight i have to ride it for a couple more years.

wow!

what oil are you using? How often do you do your filter/oil filter changes?

That's amazing!

I havent had my valves adjusted since 2003 on my 00 426. Ive hit the rev limiter about 4 times. I change my oil and filter every 4 rides and clean the air filter after every ride. Still starts first kick hot or cold.

wow!

what oil are you using? How often do you do your filter/oil filter changes?

That's amazing!

You know that oil has little or nothing to do with valve clearance, right?

Yep, I have a 98 400 and I don't know much about it's history before I got it from a friends nephew. It has been rode a lot but that thing will always start easy and runs real good. I never even checked the valves yet. I even put new plastic and stuff on it and it looks like a new bike. I wouldn't sweat riding that 400. I compared it to an 06 crf450r and a 05 yz450 and for off road I liked my yz400 better. I have other bikes that are very nice but that yz400 is great. I run a full fmf exhaust and that really woke the bike up.