trail clearing tools.....

what all do you take with you to clear trail?

i want to get involved with some trail clearing this spring, and want to start putting some gear together. i've never done organized trail parties before, and am curious what everybody uses and how to pack it in.

i'm planning on getting (or making) a chainsaw mount for the forks.

wisdom?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nah, i'm pretty set on carrying the saw on the front. all the cool kids are doing it!

i'm just not sure what else one needs, like shovel, clippers, etc.

I carry this sometimes. Military Entrenching Tool. The case can be mounted on your belt, back pack, bike, ect... with alice clips. Works great for chopping, digging ect... and very compact.

http://www.gi-surplus.com/i/Folder%202/3_Pc_Etool.jpg

I bought a rack from forkrack.com. I thought about biulding my own, but figured I could buy this one cheaper than I could do it myself. It has worked perfectly, and the customer service was excellent. Llama told me about it and he was right, it's simple and works great, and you don't get your leg hung up when getting on and off the bike.

If you are talking just clearing I have done the fork mount and now backpack for my saw. I prefer the fork mount for convenience, but it hampers steering. With the backpack I need someone to remove the saw, but it is much nicer to ride with. I run a Stihl MS180C with the toolless adjuster which is nice for cutting trail. In addition to my normal bike tools I carry the standard Stihl plug wrench and a small screwdriver for adjusting the air mixture. Bar oil travels in a quart oil bottle. I carry two 22 oz. military fuel bottles (like MSR) with premix. Also in my pack are extra spark plugs inside a latex glove, a rag, and a small (12 oz?) fire extinguisher (just cuz I had one). Oh, and lots of water because I am usually sweating my ass off hauling all this crap and running a saw while continually running back to my bike and remounting. Occasionally I bring a 14" pair of pruners with me if I know it is going to be brushy.

If doing tread work I do that on a different day because everything is so heavy.

you can also just show up any saturday or sunday at taneum junction in may and early june without any tools, and help the rangers clear. work parties go in every direction and need several to just help push and move the stuff they cut.

Joe

taneum junction? where's that? i've heard that name before... isn't that central washington? i'm in the couve, and love gifford.

i'll be down for some organized clearing....

taneum junction? where's that? i've heard that name before... isn't that central washington? i'm in the couve, and love gifford.

i'll be down for some organized clearing....

it's just south of cle elum.?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/cle-elum-orv/taneum-jct-campground.html

...of course, GP is needing help in spring also:thumbsup: keep tabs on tom,kelly,jake,rollie, and many many others that make GP the awesome place it is.

Joe

what all do you take with you to clear trail?

i want to get involved with some trail clearing this spring, and want to start putting some gear together. i've never done organized trail parties before, and am curious what everybody uses and how to pack it in.

i'm planning on getting (or making) a chainsaw mount for the forks.

wisdom?

Where do you live? We do trail work year round at Walker Valley, and there's lots of new windfall after last week.