HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kOOk

OT: How to determine a trailer's GVWR?

4 posts in this topic

Sorry to post here, but there does not seem to be a "general" forum to post this kind of information.

Looking at a used open trailer, converted from a boat trailer. 5.5'x14' with metal rails - looks pretty sharp, from the pics I have seen. Title and trailer have no GVWR on them. The guy says he's carried 4 street bikes with it............. but it's only got a 1 7/8" coupler. Can I measure the axle tube O.D. and determine the axle load rating from that? Tires are rated for a total of 3000#, but that doesn't mean the trailer is.

I really want a 3000# GVWR trailer, not a 2000#. The deal is good, but the coupler size has me wondering what this trailer is really rated for. :)

I can not easily see the trailer (except for pics), as it is 3 hours south of me. The seller will be headed up my way on Saturday, so I need to act fast.

Advice appreciated.

thanks,

Mark

Ignore the ball size, three ton trailers with an 1-7/8" ball are common.

The only way to determine the axle rating for sure is to crawl under there and look, although all manufactured trailers should have a GVWR ID plate riveted somewhere.

You could also count the springs, unless it has torsion axles, but you need a point of reference for this to do any good.

OTOH I have no experience with such a small trailer, it could be that they aren't required to plate the weight spec. and it may not even say on the axle.

Sorry, that is the best I can offer. :)

Mark, I'd guess its a 1000# or maybe 1500# at the most. Especially with the 7/8" ball, these are used for the under 3000 trailers. Hey, take a look at http://www.utilitytrailerkit.com/ you may be able ti make a guess with this info or upgrade it to meet your specs witht he hardware these guys have.

Especially with the 7/8" ball, these are used for the under 3000 trailers.

Not sure why I said three tons, I meant 3K lbs. Sorry.