Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smashinz2002

got the 15T , stock chain too short!!!

10 posts in this topic

The 15T countershaft sprocket came in today. I rushed to put it on, looking forward to tons o' speed! But the stock chain is too damn short for it!! Only one tooth larger than stock, and you can't push the axle far enough forward to fit the thing! That sux! So now I have to get a longer chain but how long ?? I honestly thought some of you guys said you could easily run a 15T with the stock chain, but it's impossible.

What's the deal ? ?

L.L. :)

If you could find a Honda dealer with ten new BRP 's on the floor, you would notice that not one of them would have the same chain slack adjustment. Some would be way back some would be way forward. Perhaps the answer is to not buy a chain, spend less and buy a 46 or 47 tooth rear sprocket to go with the 15 tooth countershaft.

Smashinz,

Sorry you didn't have the same results that I did. (I posted that I had no trouble putting on the 15T) I had plenty of chain (01 Model)and still had more than enough slack after adjustment. I agree with Dutch about getting another rear sprocket if top end is what you are looking for. Another option is to buy extra chain connector/rivet links and add a couple of links. This will also help if you buy a big tire like the TeraFlex, which I just did, and don't want to destroy the mudflap.

Ok, cool guys, thanks for the info. I didn't think about trying a smaller rear sprocket (DUH!). That will be better anyway, since I really didn't want my axle so far forward that the tire would drag the mud flap any more than it already does. Thanks again for the ideas.

L.L.

Also, did you try rolling the chain onto the big sprocket like you would for a derailed bicycle chain? That worked on my new (625 miles) XR650R, it just barely made it.

Some desert racers supposedly put the 15T on to purposely shorten the wheelbase for quicker handling. I did not notice a difference.

RWilson,

If your running a fat tire like I do 140-80x18 Michelin Baja then the rear tire is way too close to the swing arm. If he drops one tooth in the rear it puts the wheel back to the normal position. Adding a link or 1/2 link is easy too. I always save my extra chain links when I cut a new chain. They come in handy sometimes. :)

RWilson,

If your running a fat tire like I do 140-80x18 Michelin Baja then the rear tire is way too close to the swing arm. If he drops one tooth in the rear it puts the wheel back to the normal position. Adding a link or 1/2 link is easy too. I always save my extra chain links when I cut a new chain. They come in handy sometimes. :)

Does anyone know how to add a 1/2 link or where to buy one? :D

RWilson,

Please show me how to add a half link :D