New (to Me) WR450F

Hi Folks,

Just added a clean, very low hour 2003 WR450 to the garage. It runs great and thanks to knowledge obtained from this forum, I just ordered up the 2004 starter upgrade parts for piece of mind.

Coming off of a 2006 TTR-250, the power and IMMEDIATE throttle response of this (still uncorked) WR is simply amazing to me. Its the first bike I've ridden in a while that wheelies and rooster tails at the same time. The last time I experienced that phenomenon was on a YZ490. Wow!

Looking forward to learning more about this machine and a few more rides before the white stuff really flies....

Congrats! I just got one Tuesday- 2006 with lots of nice mods!

Haven't ridden it yet, but if my WR250 was ANY indication, I am going to LOVE it!

Post up pics of your bike!

I just got one Tuesday- 2006 with lots of nice mods!

And you still have one big mod left to do...when do i get a phone call to help assist with it?!?! :p

The hair stood up on my neck when I read you rode the YZ490. Now that motor is indeed a WOW experience!! :p

The hair stood up on my neck when I read you rode the YZ490. Now that motor is indeed a WOW experience!! :p

I rode that YZ490 once, and never again. It was truly frightening.

And you still have one big mod left to do...when do i get a phone call to help assist with it?!?! :p

I WILL be asking you some more about your light, based on my experience with Yamaha headlights

I think the rest is ready to go... I haven't ridden with you since X plane!

and... as awesome as the 08 framed model is, I feel like I got a good deal on this bike... first ride Monday

Report on SDAR!

PM-IMG01307.jpg

I dunno why you bothered ording the starter parts? does it start if yes don't fix somthign that aint broke...Simples

first posting here ...

i also picked up a (new to me) 06 450 three weeks ago ... rode it two weeks ago and heading out again today. I took a quick glance around and was afraid to ask stupid questions early on, but it seems the GYTR kit for 05 / 06 is available nowhere ... I'm about to go into my garage and seek the "grey wire" and remove the p-shooter, but the throttle stop is going to wait for a few days as I am not comfortable "modifying it"; however, my Yamaha dealer nearby hasw never been very recipricating when it came to modifications, so here I am. Gotta say that I am really hoping these mods (probably add an exhaust also?) to the trick; I just sold an 04 wr250 that i was man-handling, and my buddy rides an 06 yz450, which, even with the heavier flywheel, was too much like a runaway bus. I do like to WR - don't get me wrong, but it just needs a little more "holy sh*t!".

I dunno why you bothered ording the starter parts? does it start if yes don't fix somthign that aint broke...Simples

Normally, I would not bother fixing something that was not broken. However, seemed like a preponderance of evidence exists that the 2003 starter mechanism is a faulty design. Rather than risk a broken case or inoperative bike 20 miles from the truck and trailer, the $200 in parts just made sense - if nothing other than peace of mind.

Thanks for your concern though!

throttle stop is going to wait for a few days as I am not comfortable "modifying it"
Welcome to TT! You can always just buy one from a YZ450 if you don't want to cut yours down.
don't get me wrong, but it just needs a little more "holy sh*t!".
When you are able to get WOT this won't be an issue any more!
Welcome to TT! You can always just buy one from a YZ450 if you don't want to cut yours down. When you are able to get WOT this won't be an issue any more!

I honestly can't imagine any more holy s*it than the stock WR450! You guys are WAY braver than me!

Welcome to TT! You can always just buy one from a YZ450 if you don't want to cut yours down. When you are able to get WOT this won't be an issue any more!

X2 on the YZF throttle stop, It was the one mod that made the most difference in my opinion. Easy to do and very inexpensive. Having only about half throttle just didn't feel right to me.

Today was the first real ride on the 2003 WR450 - up at my brother's spread 20 miles north of Concord, NH

It was about 30 degrees out - Brrrrr!

The riding there is typical of northern New England. Lots of super narrow, steep, muddy, rutted, root and boulder infested single track. In the shadows, plenty of frost and frozen mud.

In the nasty stuff, the WR was a real handful today. For starters, it's got a pretty bad stumble off idle (accelerator pump tuning or lean jetting perhaps?) which makes it hard to pick through the technical stuff with throttle alone. When the motor recovered from the stumble, there's so much torque that wheelspin becomes an immediate issue. Not the smoothest ride today by any stretch....

You serious riders will laugh, but I actually would have preferred the TTR-250 on the tight trails today, it's much more docile and has enough torque to pick through the rough stuff with the throttle and minimal clutchwork.

On the wide open fire roads, it was an entirely different story. The WR was fantastic! Roll on wheelies everywhere, smooth, fast - fun beyond belief.

So, I've got some work to do here, both on my 450 riding skills and some tuning of the bike.

Tom

first posting here ...

i also picked up a (new to me) 06 450 three weeks ago ... rode it two weeks ago and heading out again today. I took a quick glance around and was afraid to ask stupid questions early on, but it seems the GYTR kit for 05 / 06 is available nowhere ... I'm about to go into my garage and seek the "grey wire" and remove the p-shooter, but the throttle stop is going to wait for a few days as I am not comfortable "modifying it"; however, my Yamaha dealer nearby hasw never been very recipricating when it came to modifications, so here I am. Gotta say that I am really hoping these mods (probably add an exhaust also?) to the trick; I just sold an 04 wr250 that i was man-handling, and my buddy rides an 06 yz450, which, even with the heavier flywheel, was too much like a runaway bus. I do like to WR - don't get me wrong, but it just needs a little more "holy sh*t!".

First posting here too! I got an 06 450 a year ago which I considered "stock". In Australia from what I've seen and heard the WR's generally leave the dealers with throttle stop, AIS & pea shooter insert removed.. so it still had grey wire connected, standard tail pipe, standard jetting. I "got to know it" for about 3 months and there were plenty of Holy Sh*t moments but I'd been lurking on TT and quickly realised my big girl had plenty more to give. I didn't have much coin left after the purchase so I wanted to do some mods with the biggest bang for buck. I sorted out the grey wire myself then ordered a GYTR 96db tailpipe for the stock muffler (about AU$60) and had the optional "race" needle that comes in the parts kit with the bike swapped in for the standard one at the local dealer (a few minor jetting adjustments as well, they might have charged me about $100 for labour I think). I sure can remember what it was like riding away from the shop... it was Holy Sh*t! for sure, plus she sounded better! Not much spent but the throttle response had improved immensely. I wish I had have done it in stages so I could have gauged what had the biggest effect.

Keen to see how you go when the grey wire is done. I won't be going back to the old set-up and there's still more to do!:p

Dan

Today was the first real ride on the 2003 WR450 - up at my brother's spread 20 miles north of Concord, NH

The riding there is typical of northern New England. Lots of super narrow, steep, muddy, rutted, root and boulder infested single track. In the shadows, plenty of frost and frozen mud.

In the nasty stuff, the WR was a real handful today. For starters, it's got a pretty bad stumble off idle (accelerator pump tuning or lean jetting perhaps?) which makes it hard to pick through the technical stuff with throttle alone. When the motor recovered from the stumble, there's so much torque that wheelspin becomes an immediate issue. Not the smoothest ride today by any stretch....

You serious riders will laugh, but I actually would have preferred the TTR-250 on the tight trails today, it's much more docile and has enough torque to pick through the rough stuff with the throttle and minimal clutchwork.

On the wide open fire roads, it was an entirely different story. The WR was fantastic! Roll on wheelies everywhere, smooth, fast - fun beyond belief.

So, I've got some work to do here, both on my 450 riding skills and some tuning of the bike.

Tom

I agree, a smaller bike with less power may be "easier" to ride... but you need to check some stuff on the WR first.. taffy mod... fuel screw set...re-jetted?

I took mine (used) for it's first ride on Monday, and it performed like a champ; only issue it had was the rekluse... it'll take some getting used to.

I can forward my "mods" in an email if you are interested

I agree, a smaller bike with less power may be "easier" to ride... but you need to check some stuff on the WR first.. taffy mod... fuel screw set...re-jetted?

I took mine (used) for it's first ride on Monday, and it performed like a champ; only issue it had was the rekluse... it'll take some getting used to.

I can forward my "mods" in an email if you are interested

That would be great, would be interested in your mods. I've read through all of the stickies, and think the fix will be relatively simple. I forgot to mention that the previous owner removed the exhaust "pea shooter" and I am not sure if he bothered to re-jet.

I will PM the mail address in a moment! Thanks again....

I'd be interested in those mods as well! I know I said I was headed out to the garage to remove the pea shooter and the grey wire before riding last week, but the very last allen screw just behind the number plate nearly won a battle I waged on it (I rounded it out due to rushing while cold and tired). I did manage to get it out, but the time spent doing so prohibited my plan for the wire, so off I went less the pea shooter. I think the psychological effect of actually hearing an exhaust note made the bike faster. I seem to doubt much gain was had merely with that mod only, but I was happier nonetheless. I have to say that I strongly agree with Gyrhead's comment on the stumbling, followed by torquey wheelspin in the tight techy stuff. I found myself with feet planted and catching the bike on one leg almost every time i forded a stream bed or loose rock pile; stalling was out of control. I was able to walk the 250 right over these obstacles like silk. I'm not sure if the clutch will take some geting used to also, but any input is gladly accepted. My skill level has been brought down a click or two! I'm determined to ride this thing like I stole it! Cheers to the open areas where the roll-on wheelies are effortless! I rode with (2) KTM 300's and a well modded CR500 and no problems chasing down the 2 smokes all day, except for the stink. One last comment - I gave the throttle a twist and it seemed to not be limited to 1/2 (?). I bought from the original owner who claims to have done nothing ... anyone hear of dealers doing these mods without owners request?

Tom

I had that off-idle stumble too. it would piss me off to no end.

However, I installed the power pump, adjustable leak jet, flex jet and ac pump spring in my carb. No problem ever again.

It was well worth the money.

www.r1dean.com

remove the p-shooter

are you just removing the restrictor in the tailpipe or the whole little tailpipe in the outlet of the muffler?

are you just removing the restrictor in the tailpipe or the whole little tailpipe in the outlet of the muffler?

I removed a tube and a basket-like thing, and the metal gaskets.