Poor Running 05 WR450f

Hi All,

New to this site and I must say it offers loads of useful information! I have a real challange on my hands! Looking for any help I can get!

I recently purchased a 2005 WR450F and it runs liks a bag of s@!T and I am starting to get very frustrated. I live in BC Canada we are sea level and it is currently in the 40 to 55 degeis temp.

Whats done: No grey wire (canadian bike), FMF header, removed baffel, AIS removal kit, GTYR air mixture screw and the throttle stop is removed.

The issues I am having are backfiring and poor idle. We just put a 50 main jet in it and seems a bit better just not 100% and thinking it may just be masking other issues in the carb? Does anyone know a good jet combo to start out with?

Thanks again!

Paul

There's a good "sticky" at the top of this forum about jetting and fuel...you may find that helpful?

Hi All,

New to this site and I must say it offers loads of useful information! I have a real challange on my hands! Looking for any help I can get!

I recently purchased a 2005 WR450F and it runs liks a bag of s@!T and I am starting to get very frustrated. I live in BC Canada we are sea level and it is currently in the 40 to 55 degeis temp.

Whats done: No grey wire (canadian bike), FMF header, removed baffel, AIS removal kit, GTYR air mixture screw and the throttle stop is removed.

The issues I am having are backfiring and poor idle. We just put a 50 main jet in it and seems a bit better just not 100% and thinking it may just be masking other issues in the carb? Does anyone know a good jet combo to start out with?

Thanks again!

Paul

You don't have to guess. Read the 'sticky's ' at the top of the forum.

It sounds like the carb is varnished up. Remove the pilot jet and replace it.

check the valve clearances...

The Sticky http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309069 is perfect !

I think after reading "how to" now feel comfortable tryig to open up the carb. If that does not rectify it I will look at the valves. They were inspected/adjusted only 6 hours ago, but who knows.

I will try and not ask such searchable questions next time. Again "newbie" My last question of the evening is:

Does any one use a 50 pilot jet? as best I can read most people are running is a 48?

I can answer my own question this weekend when I do the appropriate test this weekend just looking for a little insight?

Thanks again.

Paul