COmpare the '09 YZ 450 to the 2005-08 Honda 450

I am thinking seriously about buying a clean 2005-2007 CRF 450 when and if I find the used exapmle that looks like the best bet for me. I have ridden several of late and they seem pretty good to me. I owned and raced YZ 4-strokes in my past. I know the CRFs were well received during these years, winning most shootouts and being very popular. However, I know how important buying new usually is when it comes to 4-strokes, and there are still plenty of 2009 new bikes out there still for sale for good prices. The tests of the '09 YZF claimed that they were light-feeling, had great suspension, and were easy to ride as far as the motor is concerned. So, can you guys that have owned, raced, or ridden the bikes in question tell me how they compare. My Yamahas were bulletproof and I would be comfortable with a new 450 for sure. I just don't want one if they feel heavy and bulky compared to the red bike.

IMHO

General differences, over the years.

The Honda CRFR series is a more 'racy' motor, which is more fun, and more competitive out of the box, but it is almost impractical for the non-racer. Ultra-short slipper piston, button mag flywheel, super low motor oil capacity, rear weight bias, etc all are geared to being on the throttle in full cut-and-thrust mode.

The YZ's feel more planted, have more front wheel weight bias, motor spin a tiny bit slower, longer pistons, slightly more reciprocating mass, etc, makes them a better candidate for a wider range of riding.

The YZ's have slightly smaller ergo's stock, but that can of course be changed.

I've owned both, and like both. But the Yamaha is easier to ride.

Why is it that we are comparing a YZF to CRF in the WRF subforum? Maybe a mod can move this thread at least to the YZ forum.

Sorry, not trying to be difficult, just pointing out that you will probably get a much larger audience or at least the "Right" audience in the YZF forum, or CRF forum, or Which buy should I buy forum.

Why is it that we are comparing a YZF to CRF in the WRF subforum? Maybe a mod can move this thread at least to the YZ forum.

Sorry, not trying to be difficult, just pointing out that you will probably get a much larger audience or at least the "Right" audience in the YZF forum, or CRF forum, or Which buy should I buy forum.

Yeah, where is a moderator when you need one ?:rolleyes:

Dude, I wouldn't sweat it. If anyone is offended by this they have some serious issues they need to sort out with themselves ?

I was merely making a joke as I recently got reprimanded by the moderator for posting the same question on the YZ forum and WR forum (even though the question is perfectly valid for both bikes).