Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skillsaw94

Is it time to go 4 stroke?

21 posts in this topic

i need help with what my next bikes gonna be. I just sold a suzuki rm125 which was a really great bike on the track and the trails. I have the choice between a 1998 yamaha yz400f or a 98 ktm 125. The ktm is loaded up with extras like skid plates, bark busters, fatbars, and the yz400 also has most of the same extras. Are there common issues with either of these bike? i ride trails just as much as track and want the best bike for me. My rm125 had enough power for me but at the same time i felt like i could handle more. I easily rode my friends 250f to get a feel for 4 strokes and i hear the yz400s are extremely reliable. What is your opinion. both bikes are priced the same at 900$

I'd take the 400, but only if I was reasonably sure it had been taken care of or has been properly overhauled.

The 400 is going to have more pull than the 125 or the 250f, since you wanted a bit more this might be the way to go.

I have also heard that they are very reliable as long as they were maintained. They had some carb issues but they can be worked out pretty easy.

That ktm will be hard/expensive to get parts for.

I used to think this as well. HEll its half the reason why I didnt buy a ktm until a few weeks ago.

But upon buying one, I have found that parts are just as cheap as the Asain bikes I have always owned. And there are local dealers around most metro areas. Granted, there might only be one KTM dealer to 3 yamaha or honda dealers. But you can still get parts or order online and get them cheap.

MY vote is a KTM 2t or a YZ 2t

I used to think this as well. HEll its half the reason why I didnt buy a ktm until a few weeks ago.

But upon buying one, I have found that parts are just as cheap as the Asain bikes I have always owned. And there are local dealers around most metro areas. Granted, there might only be one KTM dealer to 3 yamaha or honda dealers. But you can still get parts or order online and get them cheap.

For an 08, sure. But for a 98... not so much. My cousin used to have a 98 KTM 250SX and he had a hell of a time finding any parts for it at all.

For an 08, sure. But for a 98... not so much. My cousin used to have a 98 KTM 250SX and he had a hell of a time finding any parts for it at all.

A 98 is going to be just as easy. Especially with all the online KTM dealers.

Here is a local one that I use. They have an actual store you can drive to or you can order online. This link is a parts finder for the 98 250sx on their website.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/dnsoffroad/KTM_OEM/KTMDB.asp?Type=12&A=5

As far as that yz400 goes. I used yo have one. I actually bought it needing a top-end and alot of other work. I put it all back together and hated riding it. It was a pain to start, having to slowly kick half way and then bring it back up to tdc and then kick, What a pain. 10 seconds of kicking will have you worn out. And if you stall it on a hill... Forget it.

I would seriously go with the 2t. Cost for a rebuild will be less than half of the 4t. And I think that a 2t will give a better balance between woods a trail riding.

But thats just my opinion.

I have not owned either one of those bikes, but I can say that the 400 is more complex and the parts will cost a lot more if the engine needs an overhaul. If those were my only two choices, I'd pick the smoker. I am guessing you are on a tight budget. Providing they are in good shape, either one will be fun, but that 400 will be a beast in handling and power when compared to the 125.

I too owned the early 400. Great bike but not easy to start. I am 6'5" and that was the only aving grace for me. i could lean my bike on a tree in a park in the worst neighborhood in the world and you could NOT steal it without rolling it away. It was simply impossible to start without a thourough lesson and you need height to get on top at TDC to start it. Not recommended for the faint of heart or first 4 stroke owner.

That being said, it will pull the wheels of a 125. Not even the same ball park, no comparison. But that power comes with a significant weight gain and far less flickability.

I too owned the early 400. Great bike but not easy to start. I am 6'5" and that was the only aving grace for me. i could lean my bike on a tree in a park in the worst neighborhood in the world and you could NOT steal it without rolling it away. It was simply impossible to start without a thourough lesson and you need height to get on top at TDC to start it. Not recommended for the faint of heart or first 4 stroke owner.

That being said, it will pull the wheels of a 125. Not even the same ball park, no comparison. But that power comes with a significant weight gain and far less flickability.

Agreed, Im 6'4" and it was still a pain in the but. And you are TOTALLY right that if you dont know the proper starting procedure.....goodluck!!

It def had tons of power for a bike thats 10+ yrs old but it was heavy and I remember rebuilding the top-end and it sucked. Thats half the reason why I got rid of my 08 yz450f, Everytime I looked at it I was reminded of the painful rebuild of my old 99 yz400f, painful in both time and procedure of rebuild as well as cost.

I also agree with family man on saving/spending a little more to get something a little newer. If you hold out and look around, especially with winter coming, people will be selling bikes for really cheap. You could probably pick up clean 04 for around 1200 if you look hard enough.

A 98 is going to be just as easy. Especially with all the online KTM dealers.

Here is a local one that I use. They have an actual store you can drive to or you can order online. This link is a parts finder for the 98 250sx on their website.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/dnsoffroad/KTM_OEM/KTMDB.asp?Type=12&A=5

As far as that yz400 goes. I used yo have one. I actually bought it needing a top-end and alot of other work. I put it all back together and hated riding it. It was a pain to start, having to slowly kick half way and then bring it back up to tdc and then kick, What a pain. 10 seconds of kicking will have you worn out. And if you stall it on a hill... Forget it.

I would seriously go with the 2t. Cost for a rebuild will be less than half of the 4t. And I think that a 2t will give a better balance between woods a trail riding.

But thats just my opinion.

Auto decomp cam solves the starting problem :p

The best bet would be to skip both and buy something newer for a few hundred more....

My thoughts exactly! Save your money... Look for something different.

Auto decomp cam solves the starting problem :p

Wish I had one of those after rebuild and during break-in and carb tuning. I think my right leg muscles doubled in size in those few weeks

I have a 98 yz400 and it is really a great bike. Finding one in great shape now is almost impossible. I bought mine off someone because they never watched the starting video and they never got it running after the day they bought it, sat for years. It has been a very easy bike to start with the procedure. I am a big dude and only ride large displacement bikes but if you are not larger and strong it might feel heavy. It still is way ahead of it's time for 98 but it won't have quite the balance and refinement of the newer 4 strokes. I only trail ride it and it does real good. I have rode a few newer 450's and it might be a bike length slower on drag racing straights with equal riders, the thing will haul. It has a full fmf exhaust with 14/50 gearing and honestly it will really move.This bike has been great but something newer might be better just because of wear and tear, and suspension improvements.

if you rode your friends 250f and are looking at buying a 400, you should know there is a big difference in bike there. you'd be better off on a 250 two stroke if you are looking for improved power from your 125. The YZ400 is a bear of a motorcycle of and would be a night and day difference from your 125 2T. I'd say 250f or 250 2T.

i ended up buying the ktm and im happy i did. its got a great feel on the trails and it feels like 10 times the bike as my old rm125 on the trails. This bike has great low end and an insane powerband. I came to realize that its a gamble to own a motocross fourstroke whether its maintained correctly or not it seems like they always break down. Also the ktm has over 2,400 dollars in reciepts for parts and mods done on it like the motor being ported, the suspension being revalved and redone, complete clutch overhaul with new basket, inner basket, and plates and so many other extras. I know its a little older but its got a more solid feel than my friends 07 cr125.