HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brad 426

400/426 differences

5 posts in this topic

Are there any obvious differences in the two that would allow me to tell which one it is, i believe its a 2000 426

The tenth digit of the VIN number on the frame is the model year identifier. W, X, and Y are '98, '99, and 2000, respectively. 1 through 9 are 2001 through 2009, then it returns to A and B for 2010 and 2011.

A 426 will have the number "426cc" cast into the cylinder near the base at the left front.

A 426 or a 2000 WR400 will have a hot start knob on the carb (like the choke knob, but red), whereas a '98 or '99 will have this system bolted to the frame and a hose running to the intake port.

ok thanks, its a 426, i thought i read else where that the red hot start was new in 2000 but i wasnt sure

ok thanks, its a 426, i thought i read else where that the red hot start was new in 2000 but i wasnt sure

The hot start did change in 00 but the 98-99 do have a hot start.