Recommend me some spring rates!

I asked this in the suspension forum and never really got any feedback other than to get stiffer springs. Basically I'm 6'4" 200lbs(in street clothes) and riding a 2009 yz450. Ive been riding only tracks lately and I have more fun every time I go learning to ride them. Ive been riding for almost a year and while I'm not that fast i can get around most of the tracks here in southern CA, but if I don't land them perfect its a pretty rough landing on the stock set up. Rather than spending money on a revalve I want to try to install some new springs for my weight first, so what rates would you guys recommend for me and any brand in particular?

Approx how much does it cost to respring front and rear?

springs are aboout $110 each for front and rear. I called FC, rg3, and enzo and none of them would even recommend me rates over the phone, maybe because I called at 4 45 on a friday, but none of them sounded like they wanted to talk to me unless I was gonna pay up first. I tried the mx tech calculator and the race tech ones which both gave differnt numbers. I guessed I weight about 225 with gear on and it gave me .48 in the front and 5.7 in the rear. Race tech gave me .487 and 5.6. So I think im gonna go with .48's(Ive never seen .49's) in the front but 5.6 or 5.8 in the rear?

Edited by Steel Panther

This is the reply I received from a vendor on ebay who sells DSP springs. I think they were $149 for the set when purchased together. BTW, this is for a 200lb MX rider.

Recommended Fork Spring Rate: 0.50 kg/mm

Stock Fork Spring Rate: .470 kg/mm (stock)

Recommended Rear Shock Spring Rate: 5.6 kg/mm

Stock Shock Spring Rate: 5.5 kg/mm (stock)

Okay so I got a hold of a few companies, FC, RG3, etc. Both are close to me, and both recommended .50 fork springs and 5.6 shock spring. Now the question I have for you guys is should I spend around $300 for the springs or is it worth it to get a revalve too, which would cost over $800? would the stock valving be off for new spring rates?

Edited by Steel Panther

I'm 155lbs which is a on the light side for stock springs. I replace my springs with .45 front and a 5.3 rear with stock valving and the bike works fine. I'd start with springs based on your weight and revalve if bottoming or plushness is an issues.

Steel Panther,

Call Diverse Suspension Products in CA. They sell springs, for front & rear. I have a 2006 YZ450, and weigh around 215 nekkid; 240 or so with riding gear. I went with a 5.9 kg/mm rear spring, and .50 kg/mm fork springs, and love them! :thumbsup: Diverse's prices are great, and they're good help over the phone...... :p

Hope this helps,

Jimmie

Edited by Diesel Goober
Made a mistake in the rear spring's rating....
Steel Panther,

Call Diverse Suspension Products in CA. They sell springs, for front & rear. I have a 2006 YZ450, and weigh around 215 nekkid; 240 or so with riding gear. I went with a 5.0 kg/mm rear spring, and .50 kg/mm fork springs, and love them! :thumbsup: Diverse's prices are great, and they're good help over the phone...... :p

Hope this helps,

Jimmie

Ive seen their springs on ebay before and the price is appealing. Those Ti springs look pretty nice too, but my delima is since im going to open up the forks anyways i cant decide if I should just get a revalve.

I'm pretty happy with the suspension on my 09 with the heavier springs. The only thing the stock set-up could use, IMO, is a bit more rebound damping in the rear. I normally run mine at about 6 clicks out.

Feel just quoted me a very nice price for a full revalve with springs. A few hundred less than the bigger name companies, but he recommended .49 and 5.8. choices choices choices....

Hey, Steel Panther!!!

I just noticed I made a mistake on my rear spring's weight rating, and went back & edited it. I originally wrote I got "5.0 kg/mm rear spring", and meant to say "5.9 kg/mm" instead. Sorry if I caused some confusion there...... :p

Jimmie