Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StrayCat

Should I buy the YZF426 over the others?

29 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, sorry if this is a worn out question, but before I go out and spend $6000 on a new dirt bike, I was hoping a few of you could share your opinions on the current top MX fourstrokes (YZF426, DRZ400(E), XR400, XR650, etc) - or more specifically the YZF426? I am an Expert level roadracer, and I am looking for a bike I can use for physical training and for mostly fun. The YZF426 has my closest eye because of all the fanfair and outright MX look to the bike, but I don't know if it will be the right bike for me. I expect to ride mostly in the Arizona desert (flat out!), perhaps some fast trails, and maybe even an occasional jump or berm or two (am I making this too easy?). I don't expect to use the thing on the street nor frequently on many goat(slow) trails. And big jumps are not much of an interest. However, there may be times where I want to go camping and a good midrange, a light, an electric start, and a kickstand sound nice - at times (and I have hear some grumblings about this - Heck, I don't know if the thing has a lighting coil). Sound like too much to ask of the 426? Thanks in advance. (sorry so long, but it is hard to suggest without the info)

------------------

I think the utilmate play bike is the XR400. Easy to start, lighter than the XR650. Easy to maintain, air cooled. Plenty of hop-up stuff to make it do what you want.

No need to get a new one. Plenty of used XR400's around.

Now, if you are going to jump your bike at all, get the YZ426/YZ400. They are the only ones with suspension up to the task. Plus, you get a full fledged motocrosser.

My 01 YZ426 makes a great trail bike. I would not have any problems going on long rides with it.

In fact, my daughter and I go on rides all the time. She rides an XR80 and I have no problems riding at her speed. This was almost impossible with my KX250.

I have ridden a XR650 a little. It seemed too big for my needs. I am 6' 220lb's.

------------------

Rick

01 YZ426F #85 Vet C

Straycat,

If you're en expert road racer you're times on a dirt bike are not going to remain as conservative as you may think.

A month or two into the sport, you'll want to corner faster, jump higher and further, and spend all your free time looking for more horsepower and less weight. A kickstand? A light? I don't think so.

The bottom line is the YF426 is the best four stroke on the market for rip snorting tear up the trail fun. KTMs come in at number two. Everybody in the industry or racing business knows it. Honda 's are great bikes and very universal, but it would be like racing a Buell in the Pro-Thunder division. Boring!

However, the 426 is a race bike. It is still a relatively new release that's based on modern technology. It's like back in 95 when Ducati came out with the 916. Not to say it's any better today, but you get the point. Expect some complications.

The bottom line is that you're going to end up just like everyone else on this forum. Start with a "gee I'm getting a dirt bike" whimper, then before you know it, you're strung out on high performance clutch baskets and you're forks are all over the garage floor because they shook a little the last time you landed that 70 foot triple.

Just look at guys like user Hick. It's your future.

Get the 426 and get on with it.

Best of luck.

DaveJ

Yes- get an XR400. The YZ426F has no lighting coil, and would be geared wrong for desert riding, although there are some fixes for this. And you should look around because you should be able to find one for well under $6000. I'm not sure what a new XR400 would run, but it would still be less, has lights, good cross-country gearing, and would require less maintenance. This should start a good flame but I have owned both bikes and the YZ needs to be on a track...

your question, "I was hoping a few of you could share your opinions on the current top MX fourstrokes (YZF426, DRZ400(E), XR400, XR650, etc)". First of all the ONLY MX bike of the bunch you mentioned IS the YZ! Second, you really need to define (for yourself) what you intend to get out of this bike. I think DaveJ was right on the mark when he said that with the YZ, you won't be satisfied with just playing around on it. What MikeOK was suggesting made sense too. This is a serious race bike; however, I think it's a good enough bike to be used in whatever way you want off-road. It's an awsome bike no matter how you use it. Just my two scents.

I have had 2 XR400's and they are awesome bikes...but really arent made for an MX track unless do you some suspension work! The XR is the most reliable bike on the planet unless your name is Eric Bazzy (who had a XR250) which isnt that reliable (its an inside joke guys..pardon me! :) ) The YZ's is more like a "3 stroke" if you will because it is not like a "traditional" 4 stroke and is more like a 2 smoke!

If you choose the XR you will love it alot (i know i loved mine) And if you get the YZ great they are great bikes also! You just have to think about what you are going to use it for! ...But if I were you I would for sure get the YZ, because you wont have to buy another bike anytime soon! Oh yeah and the XR650 is a PIG dont buy it it weighs like 1000lbs. LOL

Garrett

------------------

I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!

Friendswood, TX

My buddy Steve Rapp is a Pro road racer, and he motos a YZ426F. We just rode today at a desert MX track. He loves it, and keeps getting faster.

Your best choice is the YZ426F. It will easily pull 80-90 mph with a sprocket change. The only other reasonable option is the WR426F, but only if you must have the lights and WR gears.

Originally posted by StrayCat:

I am an Expert level roadracer

If you want e-start, lights, milage, and mid range, MX/deserts bike, then the KTM-520 MXC is the bike you're looking for, if you can get one and want to spend $7,000.+. Being an X-pert rider already the XR-400 will bore you to death in a few months, the YZ might be alittle rough for you, for playing its a race bike at heart so I would go the WR-426 if I were you, the only thing you'll be missing is the e-start

Doug

I expect to ride mostly in the Arizona desert (flat out!), perhaps some fast trails, and maybe even an occasional jump or berm or two (am I making this too easy?).

This to me sounds liek the ideal situation for an XR650R, i know im gonna get hounded for htis but wide open sprints and mild jumps are the perfect situation for a XR650R. Even in arguments almost everysingle YZ guy here states that the bike i only good for straightline hauling ass so atleast you know it is the best there. The 426 is a perfect bike if you wanna jump a lot and havfe instintaneous power for a decent sprint but all out balls to the wall racing and speed, you cant beat the XR unless your on a mx track or SX track. It is a little heaver than the YZ so tight trails arent a plus for the xr but then again you said for fast trails, so the bike is excellent for that. if you were to ride tight trails, and you arent a bigger rider, the YZ would be the best bike for you, but im a bigger rider and i can handle the xr as good or better than most average sized riders can manuever their YZ. Im not saying im a better rider, Im just saying I can move my bike around well because of my size, otherwise I wouldnt have a chance against these guys on a tight trail. Basically, unless your a bigger rider, the YX is a better bike on the tight stiff and BIG AIR stuff, while the XR is a better bike in all out balls to the wall open feild racing with fast trails and open desert racing. regardless of what many say, the XR can jump. Its not as nimble in the air but the suspension is adjustable front and back so you can get rid of the "soft" suspension with little effort. I personally dont find the suspension soft but then again, im not taking huge jumps liek some of these guys do. Whichever bike you get, have fun with it because they are both marvelous machines.

(sorry for the grammer and mispelled words, im tired and dont give a crap about proper english right now :) ).

Aaron Z

XR650R with HRC Power Up Kit(not cam and piston kit)

Yeah, the XR650R is a great bike for it's ONE intended purpose. If that's ALL you need the bike for then get one. If you want to do more than go fast in a straight line, jump a few feet off the ground and turn in less than a half mile then get the YZF. Comparing the two is like comparing an F16 to a 747! But then again, they don't really compare.

StrayCat, If your an expert level RRacer then you will be bored quickly with anything but the 01 YZ426. It goes plenty fast stock but has plenty of pwr if you want to gear it for the moon! :)

btw I live in AZ, check out my webpage, I have a roadbike too.

G

------------------

G-Man

sounds like you need a wr426 not the yz the wr has taller gearing for the desert as well as better off roed sus. (the yz is much better for moto ie big jumps))not to mention a bigger gas tank and lighting coil it won't have the electric start but i think you can live with out it. if you want the hard hitting power of the yz you can change the cam timming that would be my pick for desert i have a yz used for moto and i love it i'm sure you will feel the same about your wr for desert. and trails

hmmm buy a wr426 or a second hand yz/wr426/400,,, think this is the best right now,,,, but within the next twelve months,, the new honda 450 will be out [ cant wait],,,and i wouldnt be too surprized to see the yamaha hop up to 450 too,,,

Originally posted by DaveJ:

Straycat,

If you're en expert road racer you're times on a dirt bike are not going to remain as conservative as you may think.

A month or two into the sport, you'll want to corner faster, jump higher and further, and spend all your free time looking for more horsepower and less weight. A kickstand? A light? I don't think so.

The bottom line is the YF426 is the best four stroke on the market for rip snorting tear up the trail fun. KTMs come in at number two. Everybody in the industry or racing business knows it. Honda 's are great bikes and very universal, but it would be like racing a Buell in the Pro-Thunder division. Boring!

However, the 426 is a race bike. It is still a relatively new release that's based on modern technology. It's like back in 95 when Ducati came out with the 916. Not to say it's any better today, but you get the point. Expect some complications.

The bottom line is that you're going to end up just like everyone else on this forum. Start with a "gee I'm getting a dirt bike" whimper, then before you know it, you're strung out on high performance clutch baskets and you're forks are all over the garage floor because they shook a little the last time you landed that 70 foot triple.

Just look at guys like user Hick. It's your future.

Get the 426 and get on with it.

Best of luck.

DaveJ

DaveJ

Dave J, StrayCat here, of all the responses I have read so far, yours really hits home with the way I am feeling. Although I appreciate and will consider all the opinions, yours was the only one that attempted to cut through the BS, and read right between the lines. Truth is, with aftermarket parts, suspension mods, and motor work, and gearing changes, I think there are a number of bikes that would fit into the style of riding I described. But to be honest, bottom line, I am using the dirt bike as training and as a way to continually make the speeds on the track seem slower. And the YZ426 is the best baseline bike to start with, while intending to go fast first.

One other thing, you are right, at the same time I almost never leave things alone, and I am continualy looking for more speed. I am still a bit torn between the YZ and the WR,though. But most of what I have read makes me anticipate all I would do is turn the WR into more YZ-like bike.

By the way, I read alot of magazines about bikes and racing and your writing style would fit very well in the "Letter to the Editor" section.

Thanks again to everyone!

StrayCat

Originally posted by StrayCat:

"But to be honest, bottom line, I am using the dirt bike as training and as a way to continually make the speeds on the track seem slower. And the YZ426 is the best baseline bike to start with, while intending to go fast first."

StrayCat,

Not sure how much time you have on a dirtbike, but if you think your gonna just hop on and go WFO across the Dez you could be in for a big surprise as it's quite a bit different then RoadRacing. FYI there have been TWO AZ EXPERT Desert racers killed this yr (one was a 40+Exp who died 3wks ago). All it takes is a small rock or ditch (they sneak up REAL FAST at speed!) to suffer dire consequences. Kenny Roberts trains the best desert racers in the world on XR100's!!!

It's not about going fast, but more about how to control a m/c with BOTH wheels sliding. Troy Corser, Gobert, and others are Expert MXers, so I would hope having the top speed on a dirt bike is not the most important thing.

just my 2cents

G

http://www.geocities.com/gmann_3000/

------------------

G-Man

Straycat,

Well I'm glad the feedback helped. Sounds like you're on your way.

I can also add that riding dirtbikes will help your riding on the track. I've noticed that I can toss the road bike into corners now with a lot more confidence. I can even sometimes ride my way out of the sand traps.

Ride on!!! and let me know if you're going to Laguna this year for the big event. Perhaps we can meet up.

DaveJ.

GMAN,

Thanks for the advice and I agree with you totally. Riding on rocky, unpredictable, or unfamiliar terrain can (in some ways) scare (and endanger) you way more than a road course. I guess, I was merely trying to illustrate that I will ride agressively, but not without my brain. I just think I will get bored with everything else.

Signed,

StrayCat

http://www.geocities.com/gmann_3000/

[/b]

Hello everyone,

Just letting you all know that last week took one last look at the advice I received, the finally redeemed all my saved up honey-do's for my new YZ426F. So far the bike is wonderful, fast, and challenging. Oh yeah, and DAVEJ - you were right.

Look forward to joining the talk over the next few wee...er..years.

Thanks again for the advice!

P.S. I will be road racing at Street of Willow in California April 7th-8th, look for #888 if you want to say "hi".