HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
redswr

general maintance 07450

8 posts in this topic

hey guys... i am getting ready to ride my bike down in the desert for the first time in about a year and i've never really taken it apart other than to put my mods on (all the free mods and some carb add ons). What should i look for as far as general wear and tare and what all should get lubed up? It's got about 3,000 miles on it and i checked that the vavles were still in spec about 200 miles ago.

hey guys... i am getting ready to ride my bike down in the desert for the first time in about a year and i've never really taken it apart other than to put my mods on (all the free mods and some carb add ons). What should i look for as far as general wear and tare and what all should get lubed up? It's got about 3,000 miles on it and i checked that the vavles were still in spec about 200 miles ago.

IMHO;

- re-grease everything: steering head, linkages, swingarm, hubs

- change fork and shock oil

- check spokes, rim runout

- check bolt tightness, being carefull not to use a over-sized torque wrench

- adjust valves (done)

Your chain and sprockets are probably close to the end of their life - you might want to check them.

Maybe replace the throttle and clutch cable or give them a good lubing and cleaning of the throttle tube/handlebar area.

Your chain and sprockets are probably close to the end of their life - you might want to check them.

Really...at 3000 miles? I put 100hrs on the stock chain and sprockets...maintenance, oiling and adjustment is key :excuseme:

Really...at 3000 miles? I put 100hrs on the stock chain and sprockets...maintenance, oiling and adjustment is key :excuseme:

Really!

Not sure what you mean - too much or too little? I have 3K on my bike and the stock chain/sprockets are definitely iffy:excuseme:

Really!

Not sure what you mean - too much or too little? I have 3K on my bike and the stock chain/sprockets are definitely iffy:excuseme:

Yup! The only thing I do to my chain is keep it in spec per the manual and clean the chain with WD after a wash and then oil it before a ride!

I've replaced my sprockets with an Ironman set. My front sprocket went before the back but I replaced both at the same time. Don't know how many hours/miles. Doesn't really matter.