general maintance 07450

hey guys... i am getting ready to ride my bike down in the desert for the first time in about a year and i've never really taken it apart other than to put my mods on (all the free mods and some carb add ons). What should i look for as far as general wear and tare and what all should get lubed up? It's got about 3,000 miles on it and i checked that the vavles were still in spec about 200 miles ago.

hey guys... i am getting ready to ride my bike down in the desert for the first time in about a year and i've never really taken it apart other than to put my mods on (all the free mods and some carb add ons). What should i look for as far as general wear and tare and what all should get lubed up? It's got about 3,000 miles on it and i checked that the vavles were still in spec about 200 miles ago.

IMHO;

- re-grease everything: steering head, linkages, swingarm, hubs

- change fork and shock oil

- check spokes, rim runout

- check bolt tightness, being carefull not to use a over-sized torque wrench

- adjust valves (done)

Your chain and sprockets are probably close to the end of their life - you might want to check them.

Maybe replace the throttle and clutch cable or give them a good lubing and cleaning of the throttle tube/handlebar area.

Your chain and sprockets are probably close to the end of their life - you might want to check them.

Really...at 3000 miles? I put 100hrs on the stock chain and sprockets...maintenance, oiling and adjustment is key :excuseme:

Really...at 3000 miles? I put 100hrs on the stock chain and sprockets...maintenance, oiling and adjustment is key :excuseme:

Really!

Not sure what you mean - too much or too little? I have 3K on my bike and the stock chain/sprockets are definitely iffy:excuseme:

Really!

Not sure what you mean - too much or too little? I have 3K on my bike and the stock chain/sprockets are definitely iffy:excuseme:

Yup! The only thing I do to my chain is keep it in spec per the manual and clean the chain with WD after a wash and then oil it before a ride!

I've replaced my sprockets with an Ironman set. My front sprocket went before the back but I replaced both at the same time. Don't know how many hours/miles. Doesn't really matter.