Tranny Oil

What brand and weight of transmission oil is everybody running in their bikes?

I like to run the Yamalube 20W-40. I have spoken to Ed Scheidler (Yamaha's r/d guru and racing team head) and he said that frequent oil changes are mandatory for extended engine life. He said the Yamalube 4R (semi-synthetic) 10W-50 is also good to use but it is at least twice as expensive as the 20W-40. The Yamalube is much more economical than some of the other oils on the market today.

I have also spoken to Larry Roeseler and he recommends Bel-Ray (which is his sponser) 10W-40. He said he does not use the synthetic oils and changes his oil frequently.

It obviously depends on who you talk to but the bottom line is that if you want to have decent longevity from your engine you MUST frequently change the oil and oil filter.

yzernie

I forgot to mention that I have run the Yamalube 20W-40 in my 1998 400 since it was new at the end of 97. I have not had any failures to the engine or clutch.

I race MX regulary as well as practice rides and play rides. I still have the original clutch in it!!! I have been VERY pleased with the Yamalube.

yzernie

I am on my 5th YZ400-426 and I use Yamalube 20-40w. I change my oil every two rides and the filter every two oil changes. I ride MX in Texas where it is very hot and I ride the bike extremely hard, usually two time a week. I have had several engine failures and none of them can be attributed to oil. Whatever oil you use, be diligent about changing it as these engines are hard on oil and oil is cheaper that parts!