How to make an aluminum frame and swing arm look like new again?

My aluminum frame and swingarm on my 09 kx250f seem to be getting scuffed up pretty easily and stained in some spots.

Are there any techniques or products you guys use to make them look clean and new again?

(I'm not looking to polish them, or make them mirrior like)

Wet sand it. Use a block to wrap the paper around when sanding the flat areas so you don't get low spots from your fingers.

Start with something like 400-500 then go to an 800 and from there you can decide how far to take it. 1000, 1500, 2000 will give you varying levels of smoothness. It will look nice and new again. The swing arm sticker will keep scratches from coming back.

Wet sand it.

Start with something like 400-500 then go to an 800 and from there you can decide how far to take it. 1000, 1500, 2000 will give you varying levels of smoothness. .

Then use 0000 grade steal wool and AutoSal. It will look like chrome.

Edited by crazy_dave

Use 0000steel wool or a ScotchBrite pad and lubricate the surface with WD-40. This works great on swingarms, and even aluminum frames that have etching from being left outside. The WD-40 also gives the metal a bit of corrosion resistance so you should need to repeat the process less frequently after the first go.

• Helpful 1

Use 0000steel wool or a ScotchBrite pad and lubricate the surface with WD-40. This works great on swingarms, and even aluminum frames that have etching from being left outside. The WD-40 also gives the metal a bit of corrosion resistance so you should need to repeat the process less frequently after the first go.

^ :thumbsup:What he said. You said you don't want it polished so skip the 400, 600,1000 wet sanding stuff. 0000 Steel wool and WD40 will give a nice satin finish that won't stain or water spot.

^ :thumbsup:What he said. You said you don't want it polished so skip the 400, 600,1000 wet sanding stuff. 0000 Steel wool and WD40 will give a nice satin finish that won't stain or water spot.

I use the 0000 steel wool to take off my boot marks but he was sounding like he had some deeper scratches. :excuseme:

• 2 weeks later...