HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chasemotox63

How to make an aluminum frame and swing arm look like new again?

22 posts in this topic

My aluminum frame and swingarm on my 09 kx250f seem to be getting scuffed up pretty easily and stained in some spots.

Are there any techniques or products you guys use to make them look clean and new again?

(I'm not looking to polish them, or make them mirrior like)

Wet sand it. Use a block to wrap the paper around when sanding the flat areas so you don't get low spots from your fingers.

Start with something like 400-500 then go to an 800 and from there you can decide how far to take it. 1000, 1500, 2000 will give you varying levels of smoothness. It will look nice and new again. The swing arm sticker will keep scratches from coming back.

The Scotch Brite pad works the best......I went to my Napa store and got some of the purple ones that they use doing body work....works awesome.....

Wet sand it.

Start with something like 400-500 then go to an 800 and from there you can decide how far to take it. 1000, 1500, 2000 will give you varying levels of smoothness. .

Then use 0000 grade steal wool and AutoSal. It will look like chrome.

Edited by crazy_dave

Use 0000steel wool or a ScotchBrite pad and lubricate the surface with WD-40. This works great on swingarms, and even aluminum frames that have etching from being left outside. The WD-40 also gives the metal a bit of corrosion resistance so you should need to repeat the process less frequently after the first go.

I've found SOS pads work great, just use it when you wash the bike. It takes 2 seconds and the frame looks new when you rinse it off.

Use 0000steel wool or a ScotchBrite pad and lubricate the surface with WD-40. This works great on swingarms, and even aluminum frames that have etching from being left outside. The WD-40 also gives the metal a bit of corrosion resistance so you should need to repeat the process less frequently after the first go.

^ :thumbsup:What he said. You said you don't want it polished so skip the 400, 600,1000 wet sanding stuff. 0000 Steel wool and WD40 will give a nice satin finish that won't stain or water spot.

ride in the dunes! seriously, it will have your bike shining, especially the aluminum.

I've found SOS pads work great, just use it when you wash the bike. It takes 2 seconds and the frame looks new when you rinse it off.

This is what I do and it works well:thumbsup:

^ :thumbsup:What he said. You said you don't want it polished so skip the 400, 600,1000 wet sanding stuff. 0000 Steel wool and WD40 will give a nice satin finish that won't stain or water spot.

I use the 0000 steel wool to take off my boot marks but he was sounding like he had some deeper scratches. :excuseme:

I use the 0000 steel wool to take off my boot marks but he was sounding like he had some deeper scratches. :excuseme:

Nah, he was just saying he had some scuffing and staining.

Using 3M scotchbright pads start with the red one lubricated with WD-40 then go to the gray one with WD-40 and finish it off with the yellow with no luby being gentle. BRAND NEW MAN!!!

Thanks for all the input guys!

I ended up using the regular Scotch Brite pads and here's how she turned out:

IMG_4720.jpg

They seemed to be a little rough, so I think I will use the lighter pads next time.