Best Large Capacity Tank?

I just went through this....here is what I found (these are all about 3.2 gal):

Clark (about $150) - lowest price - but they have their name in the side of the tank - and I think the fit finish is maybe not the best of the breed (though they are not supposed to be bad)

IMS (about $190) - good tank with nice lines. It is only attached with the left side bolts. This is not an attachment issue (many people ride with these and have had no problems). I had concerns with how I'd fit my works connection radiator guards.

Ty Davis ($????) - Narrowest of the lot, but hangs way down and restricts access to the carb (hot start and choke) and has a cut-out for the kick starting. Just didn't appeal to me.

Acerbis (about $175) This is the one that is shown on the Yamaha site (and the one I ordered). Similar in width to the YZ tank. Comes with a trick Machined Cap, and an alloy top section that can be replaced with a dry break. Comes with dual petcocks. They are doing a redesign to improve clearance up top for a scotts damper, and to provide better access to the carb on the left side.

That is what I think I know....... Good Luck - your results may vary! ?

Definately go with the clarke......

petcock is on the left instead of the right sidee mounted backwards like the IMS and it is 40 bucks cheaper.

I have had one for 2 yrs and no problems with it. NATURAL color nos stains!!!

narrower thatn the Acerbis and ImS also

no probs w/scotts dampner either.

I race desert and can do about 110-118 on this one at race pace.

AWESOME

$.02

G4

Clarke makes a great tank. Love mine.

Oh, yea, I haven't had any yellowing of my tank graphics... ? nock on wood :D :D

------------------

JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

Doesn't Cycra make a YZ tank? Has anyone tried that one? I refuse to buy a Clarke after the way they treated me a few years ago. I will probably go Acerbis for my WR250. The Ty Davis I use for HS on my 426 does not fit. The kickstarter is changed and will not fit in the tank recess.

Good thing your sister wanted to yell at me about buying a new tank - so she brought it home as evidence before you could install it! ?

It is a very nice tank! Fits very well, and uses all the stock mounts. I'll add some pictures in the next day or two

en .................

where and when do you ride usually?

KNOLLS?

Buzzards 24mar01?

7H

G4racing

------------------

NOPE..........BOY.......

That's not thunder ridin' your BUTT .........

It's a whole Damn HURRICANE!!!!!!

en..........

try the knolls.......

awesome

sand/hills/whoops/single track/flats/jumps/etc

a little bit of everything

careful with the mudflats.......

------------------

NOPE..........BOY.......

That's not thunder ridin' your BUTT .........

It's a whole Damn HURRICANE!!!!!!

Wooohoooo guys!!!!! Got it from Ty himself, the pipe-fitting spin-out from overtorquing problem has been redesigned on all the in-stock tanks! It's now like a normal petcock, machine screws and an O-ring, no spin! They're made by IMS, a pretty reputable company.

Petcock's on the left, as per normal, there's just a cross-over tube.

Skinny seats for me! Now it's time for original YZ skinny with WR range!

There's a slightly different revision soon coming out for the YZ250F because the kick starter is slightly different than the 426.

Check out www.terrycable.com, Zip-Ty tools page two for pictures of it.