beaches

So I'm in the mood for some beach style riding, are there any beaches/coast line on our entire coast we can ride on with hopefully very very few people...

I'm willing to drive about 4-5 hours from houston to get to a nice coast section to ride on.

any of yall know or done this? I'm defn going riding this weekend and anyone is welcome to join on this beach ride if there's a place ?

Check Matagorda Island, down by the town of Matagorda. Never ridden there but we take the 4x4 down there and surf fish. Miles of open beach that you can drive on. Also, check S. Padre Island. Im not sure if you can still ride there but when I was a kid we rode there all the time. 30 + miles of open beach. If you have a boat you can carry bikes across the bay from Port Oconnor and ride on the beaches there too.(No access by road)

When I was a teen I would ride an XS 650 all the way to the north end of SPI at night just to get high and ride back. Not the smartest thing Ive ever done but a lot of fun.

If you go down to Galveston, take the ferry across to Bolivar and go east to the road up to High Island; just past there to McFadden Beach and Sabine Pass is pretty deserted. Or you can go I-10 east to Winnie then go south from there depending on what part of Houston you're traveling from. Even though as Jakes says, your bike is supposed to be plated, I used to get away with riding down there back in the '80s without one and never got hassled. Be sure to wash your bike completely with fresh water immediately afterward and lube everything you don't want to rust or corrode from the salt water.

EDIT: Actually, you probably would want to go to Winnie and go south because they won't let you carry your gas can on the ferry.

• Like 1

If you go down to Galveston, take the ferry across to Bolivar and go east to the road up to High Island; just past there to McFadden Beach and Sabine Pass is pretty deserted. Or you can go I-10 east to Winnie then go south from there depending on what part of Houston you're traveling from. Even though as Jakes says, your bike is supposed to be plated, I used to get away with riding down there back in the '80s without one and never got hassled. Be sure to wash your bike completely with fresh water immediately afterward and lube everything you don't want to rust or corrode from the salt water.

EDIT: Actually, you probably would want to go to Winnie and go south because they won't let you carry your gas can on the ferry.

So they'll let me bring my dirt bike on the ferry ?

+1 the dualsport guys do it all of the time...there's potentially an issue on the ferry about non-DOT approved gas tanks but i haven't heard of bikes get'n turned away.

there's also a nude beach on the way but it may be too chilly ?

i believe the speed limit is 30mph but once ur out in the middle of nowhere i'd have at it! :cheers:

?

I've been seriously considering plating my 450X. Gotta look into that. I heard to to ride big bend you've got to be on a plated bike and these beach roads too

i believe u MUST be plated for Texas beaches.

i had planned on re-plating my 400EXC but haven't got around to it...

...this is the first weekend in haven't riden in several months...i'm a TRH/Skull Creek member...great club and place to ride:thumbsup:

we can get u out there as a visitor one weekend if ur interested ?

check out Skull Creek on the first link.

?

http://www.trh-cycle.org/

http://www.trh-cycle.org/flyers/ds.pdf

I'm interested! I have been wanting to ride there since I heard about it. Back in the day (early 80s) I lived in Columbus and surveyed all around the area (including Altair). Never checked it out on a dirtbike though.

i believe u MUST be plated for Texas beaches.

i had planned on re-plating my 400EXC but haven't got around to it...

...this is the first weekend in haven't riden in several months...i'm a TRH/Skull Creek member...great club and place to ride:thumbsup:

we can get u out there as a visitor one weekend if ur interested ?

check out Skull Creek on the first link.

?

http://www.trh-cycle.org/

http://www.trh-cycle.org/flyers/ds.pdf

Riding skullcreek sure does sound awesome. I went out on that open day but I came in at the wrong time. the time listing just said something like be there at 6.. So I showed up at 6 PM instead of 6 AM :cheers:

Riding skullcreek sure does sound awesome. I went out on that open day but I came in at the wrong time. the time listing just said something like be there at 6.. So I showed up at 6 PM instead of 6 AM :excuseme:

Well follow us on this link

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842352

and just let me know if you want to go when I am going and I will hook you up with a guest pass..It will cost you $15 for the day.