HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
freefalling

Texas
beaches

13 posts in this topic

So I'm in the mood for some beach style riding, are there any beaches/coast line on our entire coast we can ride on with hopefully very very few people...

I'm willing to drive about 4-5 hours from houston to get to a nice coast section to ride on.

any of yall know or done this? I'm defn going riding this weekend and anyone is welcome to join on this beach ride if there's a place :smirk:

Check Matagorda Island, down by the town of Matagorda. Never ridden there but we take the 4x4 down there and surf fish. Miles of open beach that you can drive on. Also, check S. Padre Island. Im not sure if you can still ride there but when I was a kid we rode there all the time. 30 + miles of open beach. If you have a boat you can carry bikes across the bay from Port Oconnor and ride on the beaches there too.(No access by road)

When I was a teen I would ride an XS 650 all the way to the north end of SPI at night just to get high and ride back. Not the smartest thing Ive ever done but a lot of fun.

I used to ride at Bryan beach, but that got shut down about 10 years ago. DOH I think Matagorda is the only place. I've never been myself though. Good luck!

If you go down to Galveston, take the ferry across to Bolivar and go east to the road up to High Island; just past there to McFadden Beach and Sabine Pass is pretty deserted. Or you can go I-10 east to Winnie then go south from there depending on what part of Houston you're traveling from. Even though as Jakes says, your bike is supposed to be plated, I used to get away with riding down there back in the '80s without one and never got hassled. Be sure to wash your bike completely with fresh water immediately afterward and lube everything you don't want to rust or corrode from the salt water.

EDIT: Actually, you probably would want to go to Winnie and go south because they won't let you carry your gas can on the ferry.

1 person likes this

If you go down to Galveston, take the ferry across to Bolivar and go east to the road up to High Island; just past there to McFadden Beach and Sabine Pass is pretty deserted. Or you can go I-10 east to Winnie then go south from there depending on what part of Houston you're traveling from. Even though as Jakes says, your bike is supposed to be plated, I used to get away with riding down there back in the '80s without one and never got hassled. Be sure to wash your bike completely with fresh water immediately afterward and lube everything you don't want to rust or corrode from the salt water.

EDIT: Actually, you probably would want to go to Winnie and go south because they won't let you carry your gas can on the ferry.

So they'll let me bring my dirt bike on the ferry ?

So they'll let me bring my dirt bike on the ferry ?

If it is plated you can, if not it will be in the back of the truck.

1 person likes this

+1 the dualsport guys do it all of the time...there's potentially an issue on the ferry about non-DOT approved gas tanks but i haven't heard of bikes get'n turned away.

there's also a nude beach on the way but it may be too chilly :p

i believe the speed limit is 30mph but once ur out in the middle of nowhere i'd have at it! :cheers:

:smirk:

If it is plated you can, if not it will be in the back of the truck.

I've been seriously considering plating my 450X. Gotta look into that. I heard to to ride big bend you've got to be on a plated bike and these beach roads too

I've been seriously considering plating my 450X. Gotta look into that. I heard to to ride big bend you've got to be on a plated bike and these beach roads too

i believe u MUST be plated for Texas beaches.

i had planned on re-plating my 400EXC but haven't got around to it...

...this is the first weekend in haven't riden in several months...i'm a TRH/Skull Creek member...great club and place to ride:thumbsup:

we can get u out there as a visitor one weekend if ur interested :p

check out Skull Creek on the first link.

http://www.trh-cycle.org/

http://www.trh-cycle.org/flyers/ds.pdf

I'm interested! I have been wanting to ride there since I heard about it. Back in the day (early 80s) I lived in Columbus and surveyed all around the area (including Altair). Never checked it out on a dirtbike though.

i believe u MUST be plated for Texas beaches.

i had planned on re-plating my 400EXC but haven't got around to it...

...this is the first weekend in haven't riden in several months...i'm a TRH/Skull Creek member...great club and place to ride:thumbsup:

we can get u out there as a visitor one weekend if ur interested :p

check out Skull Creek on the first link.

http://www.trh-cycle.org/

http://www.trh-cycle.org/flyers/ds.pdf

Riding skullcreek sure does sound awesome. I went out on that open day but I came in at the wrong time. the time listing just said something like be there at 6.. So I showed up at 6 PM instead of 6 AM :cheers:

Riding skullcreek sure does sound awesome. I went out on that open day but I came in at the wrong time. the time listing just said something like be there at 6.. So I showed up at 6 PM instead of 6 AM :excuseme:

Well follow us on this link

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842352

and just let me know if you want to go when I am going and I will hook you up with a guest pass..It will cost you $15 for the day.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By ibisacura
      We are heading to Dallas for Thanksgiving and plan to ride Lake Mackenzie tomorrow. Would love someone to show us around and we can return the favor if you want to ride Front Range Colorado. We are both pretty good riders but just want to ride and have fun. We will be there midday
    • By loki1313
      SO i finally got into riding MX and just looking for some more riding buddies. Im an OK rider (getting better each trip) just looking for some more people to ride with (And maybe even help me with my riding). Usually end up in Terrell at The Pit, Athens MX, or Canton. Havent been to Swan yet since i dont have a membership, getting one soon though. I try to get out every weekend or thursday night, but cant always get someone to go so figure ill find some more people. Just drop me a PM or reply here if you dont mind another person to ride with around the big ET.

• By fastmonstr
      I've got plenty of time to ride the next month or so, even during the week.
      Post up if you want to meet out there.
      http://www.hiddenfallsadventurepark.com/
    • By Tom Shields
      WMA Womens World Cup
      Weekend Schedule
      Scheduled Times (No Rainout)
      Thursday (December 31, 2009)
      􀂾 3:00pm - 11:00pm Gate Hours
      􀂾 6:00pm - 9:00pm Registration Hours (Pro Tower)
      (For WMA Classes only)
      * NO Practice on Thursday
      Friday (January 1, 2010)
      􀂾 6:00am - 11:00pm Gate Hours
      􀂾 6:30am - 8:30am Registration Hours (Pro Tower)
      􀂾 7:30am Organized Practice (2 Rounds)
      􀂾 Following Practice Riders Meeting
      Note: (1 three classes report to Staging)
      􀂾 Opening Ceremonies
      􀂾 Racing Begins
      Classes include (all classes are Mod unless Specified):
      Girls 51cc 4-6
      Girls 51cc 7-9
      Girls 51cc 4-9 Open
      Girls 65cc 7-9
      Girls 65cc 10-12
      Girls 65cc 7-12 Open
      Girls 85cc 7-11
      Girls 85cc 12+
      Girls Supermini 80-105cc
      Schoolgirl 85cc+ 12-16
      Collegegirl 80cc+ 17-24
      Womens Vet 25+
      Womens Vet 40+
      Womens Beg 80cc+
      Womens C 80cc+
      Womens B 80cc+
      Womens Pro
      Awards Ceremony to follow 1hr after conclusion of last moto.
      Fees:
      􀂾 $10 Gate Fee Passes/per person($30 Weekend Pass)*
      Under 6 Free (Cash Only)
      􀂾 $5 Camping Fee per Night
      􀂾 $40 Pre-Entry Fee per class (except below)
      a) $60 Pro Class (Pre Entry or Post Entry)
      $45 Post Entry Fee
      *$30 Weekend Pass per person payable in full upon entering Thursday starting at 3:00pm. If you are not staying for Saturday’s or Sunday’s races, wristband & gate receipt required for gate refund at the front gate upon leaving. You must exit before gates close that day to be refunded.
      Race Information
      WMA Pro Purse
      􀂾 $5000 Purse for Pro class ($2500 per Moto)
      1st $500 9th $100
      2nd $400 10th $100
      3rd $300 11th $75
      4th $250 12th $50
      5th $200 13th $50
      6th $150 14th $50
      7th $125 15th $50
      8th $100
      􀂾 Trophies 1st-7th (except Pro classes).
      􀂾 Trophies 1st-3rd Pro Class
      􀂾 AMA Membership Required ($39 Annual).
      􀂾 Membership available at track or online at www.AMA-Cycle.org
      􀂾 Age Effective: January 1, 2010.
      􀂾 150F Small Wheel Eligible (85cc 7-11; 85cc 12+)
      􀂾 150F Big Wheel Eligible (Supermini, Schoolgirl, Collegegirl & Womens classes).
      􀂾 No 450F in Womens Pro class.
      1. Registration (Pro Scoring Tower) accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express or cash only. NO CHECKS.
      2. To "finalize" race entry, Pre-Entry riders (to include parent/guardian if rider is a minor) MUST check in at Registration (Pro Scoring Tower) to sign releases.
      3. Minors with Guardian must have two copies of “notarized” statement for Guardian to be able to sign for minor.
      4. ALL RIDERS must be present at registration and wearing armband.
      5. All riders (Pre & Post Entries) must report to tower to receive practice sticker.
      6. A rider will NOT be allowed on track without a practice sticker and armband.
      7. Organized Practice will be in effect. Rider must practice with designated group.
      Other Information:
      􀂾 No RV Hook-Ups.
      􀂾 Bike Washing ONLY allowed in designated area.
      􀂾 No bike washing within Pro Pit fences.
      􀂾 FM Broadcast 88.3FM (Bring Your Walkman or Portable Radio).
      􀂾 No Pit Bike riding.
      􀂾 Must hold a valid drivers license to drive Golf Karts or Utility Vehicle. No Pit Bikes or ATV’s (4-Wheelers) allowed.
      􀂾 Permitted Pit Vehicles include:
      • Golf Carts - MUST have Valid Drivers License (DL) to operate vehicle.
      • Side x Side - MUST have Valid DL to operate utility vehicle.
      • Scooter with Helmet (must be legal to drive).
      • Bicycles with Helmet.
      􀂾 All Permitted Pit Vehicles must be parked by 10:00pm.
      Contact Info:
      Track: 903-599-1888 (Outgoing Message Only)
      Web: www.FreestoneMX.com
      Email: Tony@FreestoneMX.com
      Directions:
      From I-45, Exit #213. Go West 6 miles and look for CR995. Follow the MX signs.
      Hotel Headquarters:
      Best Western - Mexia (254) 562-0200
      Best Western - Corsicana (903) 872-0020
      Holiday Inn - Fairfield (903) 389-2300
      Honda of Houston/FMF
      AMA Texas Winter Series
      Round 1 Schedule
      Friday (January 1, 2010)
      􀂾 6:00pm - 11:00pm Gates Hours
      􀂾 6:00pm - 8:00pm Registration Hours (Pro Tower)
      Saturday (January 2, 2010)
      􀂾 6:00am - 11:00pm Gate Hours
      􀂾 6:30am - 8:00am Registration Hours (Pro Tower)
      􀂾 7:30am Practice (Sat Classes only)
      􀂾 Riders meeting at end of practice
      Note: (1 three classes report to Staging with Rider & Bike)
      􀂾 Opening Ceremonies
      􀂾 Racing Begins
      51cc Stock Inj 4-6 (JR,KDX,KTM-MA,P3,PW)
      51cc Stock 4-6
      51cc Stock 7-8
      51cc Stock 4-8 Open
      65cc 7-9
      65cc 10-11
      65cc 7-11 Open
      85cc Beg 7-11
      85cc Beg 12-15
      85cc 7-11
      85cc 12-13
      Jr Supermini 7-11
      Supermini 1 12-15
      Supermini 2 14-16
      Girls 65-85cc 7-13
      Womens Am 105cc+ 12+
      250 Beginner
      450 Beginner
      􀂾 Registration for Sunday Classes TBA after Sat races
      Sunday (January 3, 2010)
      􀂾 6:00am Gate Opens
      􀂾 6:30am - 8:00am Registration Hours
      􀂾 7:30am Practice
      􀂾 Riders Meeting at end of Practice
      Note: (1 three classes report to Staging with Rider & Bike)
      􀂾 Opening Ceremonies
      􀂾 Racing Begins
      Schoolboy 1 12-16
      Schoolboy 2 14-16
      250cc Collegeboy 17-24 (Non Pro)
      250 C
      250 B
      250 A
      450 C
      450 B
      450 A
      250 Amateur Open
      450 Amateur Open
      Womens Pro (125-250cc)
      25+ C/D
      25+ B
      25+ A
      30+ C/D
      30+ B
      30+ A
      35+
      40+ C/D
      40+ A/B
      45+
      50+
      Fees:
      􀂾 $10 Gate Fee/person/day - $20 Weekend Pass*
      Under 6 Free (Cash Only)
      $10 Gate Fee/person Saturday after 3 pm
      􀂾 $35 Online Entry Fee per class
      􀂾 $40 Post Entry (All Classes)
      *$20 Weekend Pass per person payable in full upon entering Friday after 6:00pm and Saturday. If you are not staying for Sunday’s race wristband & gate receipt required for gate refund at the front gate upon leaving. You must exit Saturday to receive a refund.
      1. Registration (race weekend) accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express or cash only. No checks.
      2. To "finalize" race entry, Pre-Entry riders (to include parent/guardian if rider is a minor) MUST check in at Registration (Scoring Tower) to sign releases.
      3. All Pre-Entered customers must report to the designated Pre-Entry window at the Scoring Tower.
      4. ALL RIDERS must be present at registration
      5. Riders MUST bring last 4 digits of VIN for each bike competing on when registering.
      Other Information:
      􀂾 No RV Hook-Ups
      􀂾 Camping Fees $5 per Night
      􀂾 Age Effective: January 1, 2010
      􀂾 Bike Wash Available
      􀂾 Freestone Radio Broadcast 88.3 FM
      􀂾 No Pit Bike riding.
      􀂾 Must hold a valid drivers license to drive Golf Karts or Utility Vehicles. No Pit Bikes or ATV’s (4-Wheelers) allowed.
      􀂾 Permitted Pit Vehicles include:
      o Golf Carts - MUST have Valid Drivers License (DL) to operate vehicle.
      o Side x Side - MUST have Valid DL to operate vehicle.
      o Scooter with Helmet.
      o Bicycles with Helmet.
      o All Permitted Pit Vehicles must be parked for the night after 10:00pm.
      o Walk Bike Policy: Must walk bikes from Pit Area to Staging and Staging Area to Pits.
      Event Information:
      Factory Contingency: Cobra , Honda , Kawasaki , KTM, Polini, Suzuki , & Yamaha (Note: KTM is for overall in series). Not confirmed with OEM 's as of 12/24/2009
      􀂾 This is a recognized AMA Sanctioned Event
      􀂾 AMA Membership Required ($39 Annual)
      􀂾 Membership available at track or online at www.AMA-Cycle.org
      􀂾 Must compete in 4 of 5 Rounds and be present at the last round for Overall Contingency.
      􀂾 200% Payback: 250 A, 450 A, Womens Pro
      􀂾 100% Payback to Expert Classes.
      􀂾 No Trophies to Pro or Expert Classes.
      􀂾 50cc Stock Injected eligible bikes (Suzuki JR50, Kawasaki KDX50, KTM Mini Adventure, Cobra P3, Yamaha PW50).
      􀂾 2 Moto Format (Divisions if necessary).
      􀂾 Womens Pro - No 450F’s.
      􀂾 Jr Supermini - No Big Wheel (65-85cc).
      􀂾 Awards for Amateur Classes 1st-5th
      􀂾 40+ A/B is a Trophy only class.
      Series & Track Info:
      Track: 903-599-1888 (Outgoing Message Only)
      Web: www.FreestoneMX.com
      Email: Tony@FreestoneMX.com
      Directions:
      From I-45, Exit #213. Go West 6 miles and look for CR995. Follow the MX signs.
      Hotel Headquarters:
      Best Western - Corsicana (903) 872-0020)
      Series Schedule:
      Rd 2 Jan 16-17, 2010 Swan Raceway Park
      Rd 3 Jan 30-31, 2010 Oakhill Raceway
      Rd 4 Feb 13-14, 2010 Lake Whitney MX Park
      Rd 5 Feb 27-28, 2010 Village Creek MX Park
      * Rain Dates: Jan 23-24 & Feb 20-21, 2010
    • By motoguy205
      Hey everyone... I'm new here and will be moving to central Texas (Dallas Fort Worth area) and can't seem to find any information on AMA District 41... can anyone help?