HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
martman100

Tires for a newbie

19 posts in this topic

I know there are tons of tire threads and discussions. But what I would like to know is if anyone has suggestions on a budget tire for an 04 yz450. I am not an aggressive rider yet and don't get to ride a whole lot but need a new rear tire at a minimum.

Don't really want to pay $100.00 for one tire. I currently have Dunlop 756's but they were on the bike when I bought it.

Basically I don't need the best hooking up, latest greatest tire on the market.

the ones listed and the michelin MX3 are all the most common all around good intermediate tire. You shouldn't have to pay more than 60 70 bucks

Thanks everyone so it seems the best bet is to stick with the known brands. Best place for prices? tech24 where do you get them for that price?

Thanks everyone so it seems the best bet is to stick with the known brands. Best place for prices? tech24 where do you get them for that price?

I actually got my MH3s at the dealer for that price, they were $90 a piece which is way too much but bought the combo for $70 each. You can get better deal at previously mentioned rocky mountain and/or motosport

So do the 756s wear that fast. I have only 3 rides on mine and they were fairly used before I got them so nothing to compare them to.

So do the 756s wear that fast. I have only 3 rides on mine and they were fairly used before I got them so nothing to compare them to.

In one word YES! A good hard 5hrs and they're done

Damn not going that route then that is for sure. Hell the wife complains now about the money I spend.

Its not a bad tire IMO but wears way too fast. The most positive reviews I have seen are for MX51 and MH3s.

You can get better deal at previously mentioned rocky mountain and/or motosport
I don't know about their shipping policy, but almost no one ships tires for free. You need to factor that in when comparing to your local parts house.

out of curiousity I looked on motosport and the MH3 combo is $144 so it looks like a good a decent price at the dealer. It says free shipping but when you finish checkout there may be a fee since they are tires. I think I got free shipping on my D952s but can't remember. But still looks like local is a better option at least for me.

Yeah I try to support my local smaller shops. I will have to check with them. I know they had some mx51s on sale I think.

Thanks everyone. Now I just need to see if I should trade my 450 for a 250 since the 450 is scaring the shit out of me with the power it has. My throttle control still has a long way to go since I have been on thumb throttles since I was 8 (35 now).

Throttle control is easier on the 450 than the 250, IMO, since four-stroke responds in a far more linear manner. As great a bike as the YZ250 is, it still suffers a bit from the on/off throttle response typical of all two-strokes, even the big ones. It's not "pipey", per se, but still no where near as linear as the 450, on which bit more throttle gets you just a bit more power.