HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blone

Chain question

8 posts in this topic

Hi, Ive got an 01 WR426 motard. The bike has with a DID ERT 520 chain, and there are tight spots in the chain when I adjust it, but it has absolutely no tight links throughout the entire chain when I take it off and inspect it. The chain and sprockets have a little less than 2k miles on them. I know that the chain needs replacing when there are tight spots in the links, but I've heard that tight spots are relatively normal when the chain is on the bike, from chain stretch. The teeth look good on the sprockets as well.

Does it sound like the chain needs to be replaced? Thanks!

If there are no tight links when the chain is off thr bike, then I am thinking you may have a bad sprocket.

An o-ring chain should go more than 2k on a motored bike with "low" horsepower (say compared to a rocket).

I'd say you got something else up.

Wierd, I when I pulled the chain cleaned/lubed it, re-installed it, the tight spot disappeared..

Adjusted the chain today and the tight spot is back. I rode it a little on the loose side, which is why it went away when I cleaned/lubed the chain. Still, none of the links are stiff/kinked. The chain seems to have a good bit of side to side play, but its a non o-ring. I cannot tell if the sprockets are bad, but they don't look out of round to me. Teeth look good as well.

edit- Nevermind, I found some tight spots in the chain when I pulled it off to inspect it again. Time to replace it.

Edited by blone

Seriously, get an oring chain. The cost is like 2x but expect 4x the life. I was cheap snd owed my buddy some cash a few years ago, so i bought him a non-oring chain for his CBR600 and within 1500 miles it was pretty much shot. Don't know why non-orings go so quick, but they do. When I look at chains I find the cheapest o, x, w or p chain I can find and then buy the next higher priced one I see. Last couple times (been buying and selling a lot of bikes the past few years) I bought a Regina and also Renthol for like $80-$90 each. Both have had good life and are still running strong.

JMHO.

Seriously, get an oring chain. The cost is like 2x but expect 4x the life. I was cheap snd owed my buddy some cash a few years ago, so i bought him a non-oring chain for his CBR600 and within 1500 miles it was pretty much shot. Don't know why non-orings go so quick, but they do. When I look at chains I find the cheapest o, x, w or p chain I can find and then buy the next higher priced one I see. Last couple times (been buying and selling a lot of bikes the past few years) I bought a Regina and also Renthol for like $80-$90 each. Both have had good life and are still running strong.

JMHO.

I'd like to get an o-ring chain, but my bike is running a 160 distanzia in the rear (it's a motard), and the o-ring chains are wider, I need all the space I can get between the chain and the tire. I just got a plain old RK non-o-ring for now, and the tight spot seems to have gone away. If this one fails quickly, I'm gonna have to get an o-ring chain and a chain guide.

I currently run a 150 Distanza on mine. It doesn't look to be too cut up by the chain, but I don't have a lot of miles on it.

I can't remember what I had back there before the Distanza, but the chain would cut a little of the tire off where it hit.

This seems to be considered "normal" in the SM world though. If you search around there is a lot of discussion about it.

I'd like to get an o-ring chain, but my bike is running a 160 distanzia in the rear (it's a motard), and the o-ring chains are wider, I need all the space I can get between the chain and the tire. I just got a plain old RK non-o-ring for now, and the tight spot seems to have gone away. If this one fails quickly, I'm gonna have to get an o-ring chain and a chain guide.

I currently run a 150 Distanza on mine. It doesn't look to be too cut up by the chain, but I don't have a lot of miles on it.

I can't remember what I had back there before the Distanza, but the chain would cut a little of the tire off where it hit.

This seems to be considered "normal" in the SM world though. If you search around there is a lot of discussion about it.

I'm aware of the chain rubbing being somewhat normal, my Dunlop Sportmax tires did the same thing. :smirk: My Distanzias only have 250 miles on them, and all of the blocks have the "normal" wearing from the chain, but also some have small chunks taken out from the chain, so running a wider o-ring chain certainly wont help that. I also cannot find a chain guide that is made for the WR that would keep it from hitting the tire.

Edited by blone