HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mdkcrf250r

Trail Tech Vapor Installation question 08 YZ450

7 posts in this topic

I installed the Trail Tech Vapor computer on my bike but the instructions say to splice power from the stator with no clear instructions as to which wire. From my understanding you only need power for the backlight. I have everything else hooked up (temp, rpm, speed) and everything works. I'd like to have the power connected too for the backlight but I'm not sure how to go about it. So what color stator wire do I splice into? Any preferable ground spot? Thanks for the help.

IMO, there is no power source available for any auxiliary use on a YZ450. Certainly none is intended. It's an ignition only, all AC system, with just enough power for the ignition and no extra. The back light probably doesn't take much, but then again, if you don't have lights, why would you need it?

I agree its not needed most of the time but I'd like to have it lit up so I can see it easily when riding the trails going through sun, shade etc. Just like the WR's. The instruction booklet says the vapor can work off anywhere from 6-400 VAC-VDC...I guess I better call their tech support.

Ok I got it figured out. I called Trail Tech and they gave me the scoop. You get power from the stator. The Vapor can support anywhere from 6-400 VAC-VDC so hooking it up from the stator is just fine. Worst case scenario (which is unlikely) is the computer will draw too much and not allow the coil enough to fire, meaning the bike won't start. It will not damage anything on the bike or the computer itself. The wires coming from the stator go to a connector in between the radiators and right in front of the head. Splice power from the Green wire and ground from the black. Both wires are next to each other in the connector coming from the stator. Hope this helps someone.

i know this is an old topic, but how long did the battery that is in it last? or did the whole computer run off of the stator?

Ok I got it figured out. I called Trail Tech and they gave me the scoop. You get power from the stator. The Vapor can support anywhere from 6-400 VAC-VDC so hooking it up from the stator is just fine. Worst case scenario (which is unlikely) is the computer will draw too much and not allow the coil enough to fire, meaning the bike won't start. It will not damage anything on the bike or the computer itself. The wires coming from the stator go to a connector in between the radiators and right in front of the head. Splice power from the Green wire and ground from the black. Both wires are next to each other in the connector coming from the stator. Hope this helps someone.

I tried this on my 08, and the bike would not start. I eventually ended running a separate battery and switch to the unit to power it.