my new 450f

They have all, well most of the found problems, been posted before, do a search if you want to find out all the details. But if I remember right some of the valve cover gaskets have repeatedly failed, and various fuel pump problems can happen with any efi system. I cant really remember any other major problems. It should be a great bike!

Team

I have just purchased a 2010 yz450f, are there any faults/ideas that people have found that myself and others might need to know about?

I found for off road in rough terrain, the throttle response from off idle was too abrupt. I tried tuning it out (it's possible) with the tuning tool, but it took the snap off the rest of the power in addition to solving the "notchiness" of the off idle response. I had my throttle body modified by one of the aftermarket vendors and am now happy with the change in off idle response....I can ride it slowly now, when necessary. Not nearly as big of a deal if you moto only....Also replaced the air filter with a DT-1 element, haven't noticed a performance increase, but more surface area means less chance for clogging on a long ride. Also have installed the larger IMS 2.4 gallon tank. Now, it runs out of gas (65 miles or so) at about about the same time I do...

I found for off road in rough terrain, the throttle response from off idle was too abrupt. I tried tuning it out (it's possible) with the tuning tool, but it took the snap off the rest of the power in addition to solving the "notchiness" of the off idle response. I had my throttle body modified by one of the aftermarket vendors and am now happy with the change in off idle response....I can ride it slowly now, when necessary. Not nearly as big of a deal if you moto only....Also replaced the air filter with a DT-1 element, haven't noticed a performance increase, but more surface area means less chance for clogging on a long ride. Also have installed the larger IMS 2.4 gallon tank. Now, it runs out of gas (65 miles or so) at about about the same time I do...

I remember when you posted the mod but at the time I wasn't too sure what the issue was before you corrected it.

RIding the bike more now I know EXACTLY what you are talking about how the throttle response is very abrubt from off idle, very annoing on the trails.

Can you go into detail as to what they did to fix this?

Also, I can't find ANYTHING in terms of pics for the DT1 filter for the 2010, there was a shitty shot from a magazine review but it doesn't really show what the filter shape really looks like. Next time you pull it out if you could take a couple shots of it, would love to see it as I'm sure others would too on the board.

I added a 50 tooth pro taper sprocket for the woods, much better for the slow technical stuff now in 1st, gear transition from 2nd to 3rd feels more linear where as before it felt like 3rd was too low..

Apparently, the angle the butterfly, as comes from the factory, is such that a minute input from the wrist results in a lot of opening at the butterfly, because of the angle. Just looking at the butterfly, it appears to be almost (not quite) at right angle to the bore, noticeably different from stock. There also is an air bleed added to the butterfly to aid idle. The TPS had to be recalibrated, but, believe me, throttle response is night and day different. I can actually idle along with my left hand down by my side, and roll the throttle on without having the bars ripped out of my throttle hand...I noticed a bit of this at the track, but when I started messing around off road, big time issue...no more...

I used the DT-1 filter element only...It is a lot "thicker" as it is stretched over the stock cage, looks "puffy, but has much more surface area, and seems to be sealing well...I've found no signs of dust in the intake....

Thanks for the info. Repositioning the TPS only requires a voltmeter and moving the tps around with the throttle closed to find the appropriate resistance value specified in the service manual yea?

Their website says they only do honda and will support other makes later down the road. But if they are doing them now, I might have to send in my TB for the winter.

I didn't know that the DT1 wrapped around the stock cage, pretty neat idea.

Thanks for the info. Repositioning the TPS only requires a voltmeter and moving the tps around with the throttle closed to find the appropriate resistance value specified in the service manual yea?

Their website says they only do honda and will support other makes later down the road. But if they are doing them now, I might have to send in my TB for the winter.

I didn't know that the DT1 wrapped around the stock cage, pretty neat idea.

Wade takes care of recalibrating the TPS...It is a "plug and play" modification, ready to re-install when you get it back. I had 6 day turn around, including the Labor Day holiday.........The Honda was the first manufacturer Injectioneering researched and modified as they had FI a year earlier than Yamaha..don't wait.....

?

Well if I send it in I gotta wait at least 6 days... That's too long to not be able to ride!

I go almost every day, every other if I'm tired.

It'll have to wait until the snow hits when I'm only riding once every couple weeks ?

Hey if you guys want to play around with your own TPS settings, you should check out the voltage source I used from Simon Smart Body. You can see how it works by going to facebook and then David SimonSays. I used their settings of .61 volts to start on the YZ and it helped a lot. Just adding my 2.