Did this dirt come through the filter?

So i was taking apart the carb on my 09 to make some jetting changes and noticed this dirt underneath the top of the carb. Is it possible this did damage to the valves and/or cylinder. Should i be worried about it. I change/clean the airfilter before every ride.I switch out between a twin airfilter and the stock filter and use pj1 filter oil (since switched to no-toil). I know some dirt will get through but that seems like a lot to me. On one previous ride the airfilter did get very dirty after two hours of riding a dusty track. The dirt i found looks rather similar to the dirt of that track so i am hoping it was a one time thing where that much dirt got into the carb.

1001002038.jpg

0920001802.jpg

OMG. how did the bike run? You might want to try taking two air filters with you and changing them out during the middle of the day. BUt that does seem like an awful lot of dirt in the carb. You might want to replace that rubber gasket. But ive alaways had a little bit of dirt in my carb there.

OMG. how did the bike run? You might want to try taking two air filters with you and changing them out during the middle of the day. BUt that does seem like an awful lot of dirt in the carb. You might want to replace that rubber gasket. But ive alaways had a little bit of dirt in my carb there.

The bike ran like crap! thats why i pulled the carb. I didnt expect the airfilter to be that dirty when i opened it up and i only noticed a little bit of debri in the intake boot which i thought was normal for how dusty it was.

That not the bowl, its the piece in top that you take off to change the needle or the clip position. I think dirt gets in there from the plastic cover on the side where the wheel and AC linkage. Thats the only thing i can figure

I had the same deposits in my carb after desert trips. I had no dirt in the air boot, ive since installed a 7602 carb vent filter and carb is spotless. If your in really dusty conditions starting(I think) the bike can suck up dust through the carb vent hoses, the filter cures that problem. Ive never had a filter that dirty though!

This is the top of the carb where you would acess the slide/needle. When i took the seat off it was like a christmas present. I only ran that filter for about 2hrs. I'm thinking that 7602 carb vent filter is the answer.

35 years of riding, I have never seen a filter look like that. Did you ride in a tornado?

The track was pretty dry and the berms consisted of very fine powdery dirt. Pretty much when u hit the berm dirt would explode all over.

So your valves are coming out of adjustment that quickly? The coating is probly worn of on them, you might need to look into replacing them. But riding in conditions like that is really hard on your filter. You should probly use filter grease and change it at the middle of the day if you still continue to ride there

So your valves are coming out of adjustment that quickly? The coating is probly worn of on them, you might need to look into replacing them. But riding in conditions like that is really hard on your filter. You should probly use filter grease and change it at the middle of the day if you still continue to ride there

I use belray grease around the rim of the filter. Not plannin on going there if the track is as dry as it was that day. I think after the first few lap my filter was prolly that dirty and i just didnt notice it. Honestly though the inside of the filter was reasonably clean. Is it possible it came in through one of carb hoses as someone already mentioned?