HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steel Panther

quick tool question

5 posts in this topic

I usually do my work at my friends shop and use his fancy tools, but he is on vacation and I want to check my valves and I dont believe I have the correct size hex for the ignition plugs on my 2009. Anyone know what size they are, so I can pick one up on the way home? It was big if I remember rght!

Check the end of your OEM spark plug tool.

you are one clever cat :smirk: lol I didnt even notice I got one, a spoke wrench too. I guess I should have looked in this envelope I got sooner.

The weird little steel rod with the plastic tube on the end is for picking the jet needle up out of the slide.

I had to make do with some automotive feeler gauges from autozone no curved ones I used last time but they worked. The intake were all well within spec, of .1-.15mm. I believe the closest size I had was .127mm, with .159 being way too big and .9somethin being too small.

The exhaust were a bit tighter(.2-.25mm spec I believe) with .178 not touching at all and .203mm being a pretty tight fit on the right, but I was able to slide it in it in there with some resistance. Im pretty sure I wrote down the clearences last time, but I cant find them:/ However, I remember .20something fitting much easier on both exhaust sides.

The bike has 39 hours and I checked it at 21 hours last time. Do you think im safe runnning it another 15 hours before checking it again? I guess im a little nervous to adjust the valves since ive never done it before and stripping cam covers scares me so Im hoping they stay put!

Edited by Steel Panther