Rear tire for WR450 in harsh desert

I have ridden my 07 WR450 twice since I got the bike, in the desert north of Phoenix. The trail is really rocky/gravelly/technical. The original stock rear tire was in pretty good shape when I got the bike, like 80%. After 2 rides, I will be lucky if I have one more ride left on this tire. The knobs just rip off. It looks like crap. Looks like some one threw it in a giant food processor.

What is the best tire for harsh desert? Does it help to go super wide in size?

+3 on the Maxxis IT Desert

I've heard that the the Bridgestone 404 has better traction, but the Maxxis IT Desert seems to last better. Some have reported chunking on the the Maxxis, but I've never had any problem.

Mounting it really isn't all that difficult if you have the right tools and know what you're doing.

Other people have told me Maxxis IT. Great! Should I go with the 120/100-18 instead of the 110/100-18? Will it make a difference in wear, ride, durablity?

What about the front tire? Loosing a couple knobs, but not nearly as bad as the rear. Is there a preference for rocky terrain?

Thanks!!

Other people have told me Maxxis IT. Great! Should I go with the 120/100-18 instead of the 110/100-18? Will it make a difference in wear, ride, durablity?

What about the front tire? Loosing a couple knobs, but not nearly as bad as the rear. Is there a preference for rocky terrain?

Thanks!!

Just remember, we are talking about a maxxis "DESERT" IT, which is a different tire then a normal Maxxis IT.

I found the M12 front good for rocky area's, but not to hot in sand or mud

I liked the S12 front, and only minor chunking in rock.

I've actually only ever ran a S12 or M12 front....so it's all I can comment on....lol

Thanks!!

Go with a 120. I switched to a 120 and hook-up was noticibly better. More stable on the sand, cruised rocks well, no rim dents. The only issue I can see with it is if you flat it may rub the swing arm.

Just remember, we are talking about a maxxis "DESERT" IT, which is a different tire then a normal Maxxis IT.

I found the M12 front good for rocky area's, but not to hot in sand or mud

I liked the S12 front, and only minor chunking in rock.

I've actually only ever ran a S12 or M12 front....so it's all I can comment on....lol

i have been running the m12's on mine front and rear... been very happy with them.. we have all kinds of terrain here.. rocks trees sand mud..

the mich size listing is weird.. the back one on mine is a 130-90-18 i think..

it came in with a 110-100 18 sticker right on it..

I don't like running 120's on the WR too much spinning mass makes the bike harder to turn. The MAXXIS Dessert IT lasts a long time but is not as good as some of the others mentioned in sand because the knobs are a lot closer together. I change back and forth between dunlop 756 and the maxxis and like both. You might think about trying a trials tire also. I have had good look with them everywhere except sand also.

Thanks!!

I ride in the harsh Mojave Desert all the time in California.

Maxxis IT = Tough Tire = No Wear = No Traction.... Its cheap, but doesn't work as well.

I currently run the Bridgestone 404 in the rear. But I air it down to 13.5lbs to get it to grip.

120... Maxxis Desert IT:thumbsup:

I run them almost year round in WA, you can air down to 5 PSI in the mud and be fine with the stiff carcass. Good in almost any conditions, really good in Desert and hard terrain conditions.

Like Gcannon says, stay away from the front, it's a POS that will only hurt you.

Just started using that Dunlop Geomax front and I LOVE IT! I used to condemn Dunlop anything but I really like this tire and have been running it in rocky hard pack and it's a performer for sure ?