HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
enliven

Should I by an 05 yzf450 for $1800??

10 posts in this topic

Im not that familiar with later model bikes, wanting to upgrade from my 07 rmz250 to a 450 and found a pretty clean 05 yzf450 that has a new topend (piston, cams, tensioner, valves..).

Does this seem good or would a bit newer provide alot more bang for the buck?

TIA!

The 05' is a great bike (last year of steel frame). Last year I thought I should upgrade to a newer bike because I see posted so much "the aluminum frame bikes are so superior to the metal frame bikes and the speed -sensitive-suspension is so much better than the position-sensitive-suspension and if you want to rule at the track you have to have the newer bike". I bought into it. Luckily my friends cousin had an 08' for sale and he was cool enough to take it to the track with us (Competitive Edge MX) I swapped between my 05' and his 08' for the day and never felt enough of a difference to get rid of my 05'. I looked at it like this: The 08' suspension was revalved from Enzo and it had a FMF full exhaust and jet. like my 05' is revalved and has a DrD full exhaust and jet set up. So no bike had any real after market advantage. I ride 90% tracks and you get a real good understanding of a bikes performance because your always pushing the engine, handling and suspension of a bike. I'm no Ryan Dungy but I get it on.

I gotta admit the aluminum frames look cooler.

Yea you get into aluminum frames and the SSS suspension, both of which are def better.

However, the steel frame has it's pro's over aluminum, that year also came with twin chamber forks which are still very very good.

1800$ is a steal where I come from if it's in good shape, but unless you tear the motor apart and start checking things, you honestly won't know if the top end was just done or not. Reciepts would be a plus, but still....

I think for any used yz two or four stroke, the buyer should always slap on another couple hundred for a top end rebuild with piston, rings pin etc as the minimum. This will give you piece of mind that it was really done, by you!

put the 04 cdi on it and thn it will really rip. $1800 is a good buy if its in overall good shape and the twin chamber forks work really well.

put the 04 cdi on it and thn it will really rip. $1800 is a good buy if its in overall good shape and the twin chamber forks work really well.

where can I find info about the CDI swap?

Here's the info:

1. Buy the '04 CDI
  2. Plug it in

:smirk:

LOL, I asked for it I suppose :p

What I wanted to know is what exactly the benefits were... I found a few posts talking about it but nothing as to "more top and bottom" or "hits harder" or "more top, less bottom" etc...

i just did the cdi swap on my 05 and i am very happy now. lots of low and midrange improvement. i found a used 04 cdi on ebay for $45. in my opinion best mod to do to the 05.