HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dick Falcon

bike sucking dirt??

4 posts in this topic

it been really dry and dusy around here latly,i put a new fiter on yesterday and it looked like there was some dust in the air boot when i wiped it out.it might have been the no toil rim grease though.I use no toil,the new green stuff its worked great so far,but this make me worry a little.thanks

jon

it been really dry and dusy around here latly,i put a new fiter on yesterday and it looked like there was some dust in the air boot when i wiped it out.it might have been the no toil rim grease though.I use no toil,the new green stuff its worked great so far,but this make me worry a little.thanks

jon

You would be suprised what can get through an air filter. Sounds normal to me. Unless you are talking about a large amount of dirt.

Out of curiosity what kind of filter do you use and how often do you clean it?

I ride in the most impossibly fine dust anywhere when I race in the Imperial Valley. The stuff will literally hang in dry air for an hour if there's no wind. Dust that fine is nearly impossible to remove from the intake air completely. I use Twin Air and Amsoil filters (Uni made them, I think) with Maxima FFT. I never use rim grease because the oil is so tacky that it seals the flange just fine. I get a very faint, hardly visible haze on the interior of the boot after a really dusty ride, but not enough to worry about, IMO. It'd be nice if it didn't happen, but I don't see how I can really do better.

When it's that dusty, it's very important to change out the filter every day whenever possible.