HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
swifty_ano

Waterpump telltale hole leak!

3 posts in this topic

yes, another waterpump leaking thread.

I have searched the forum and found this to be quite a common problem. I am wanting to repair this on a budget.

Can I just replace the front seal as it is only leaking coolant and no oil. No water in the oil either.

If i can replace the front seal, do i have to take the side cover off?

Anyone give a how to guide?

yes, another waterpump leaking thread.

I have searched the forum and found this to be quite a common problem. I am wanting to repair this on a budget.

Can I just replace the front seal as it is only leaking coolant and no oil. No water in the oil either.

If i can replace the front seal, do i have to take the side cover off?

Anyone give a how to guide?

I don't have a how to gude but I can tell you that I have had my fair share of water pumps go south. I have learned to always replace the shaft, bearing, and both seals. It is cheap insurance, but if you don't ride into the middle of nowhere then you can probably afford to try and replace the water seal only.

Drain the coolant > pull the water pump cover > Remove the impeller> remove the water seal.

When you have the old seal off, check the shaft for debris. Clean it with a paper towl and some carb cleaner, but DON't spray the cleaner right onto the shaft, you want to avoid getting solvants on any seals if possible. Although, it would probably be fine. Once the shaft is clean, put some grease on the shaft and lightly press the new water seal over the shaft. And button her up.

:ride: