Leaking fork seals

I have an 09 yz450f and it has about 20-25 hours on it. I have noticed lately that the fork seals have been seeping. I do what the shop manual says and clean them after each ride but they still seep while im riding. Is it normal for them to seep at all or am i looking at new seals?

very easy job!!! i had never touched suspension myself up until a couple works ago. i also bought the tools mentioned above and they dont take but like an hour to do both sides and both chambers your first time.

highly recommend buying the complete rebuild kit as well instead of just the seal and wiper all that and some oil and you will still be cheaper than the local shop and you'll have the tools for the innevitable.

I was just getting ready to start a similar thread. I have an '08 yz450f and just noticed that my forks were leaking oil today. Should I try to clean up around the seals first, or should I just take it into the shop to be fixed? If I take it in the shop, what is should I expect to pay to have this fixed?

I was just getting ready to start a similar thread. I have an '08 yz450f and just noticed that my forks were leaking oil today. Should I try to clean up around the seals first, or should I just take it into the shop to be fixed? If I take it in the shop, what is should I expect to pay to have this fixed?

Don't pay a penny! Spend a few bucks getting the fork tube wrench and a seal driver from rockymountain and buy a set of seals from them too. Watch a video or two and dig into those forks. They are really easy to replace. The first time you replace the seals the savings will more than pay for the tools. :ride:?:banghead:

for me it was easy. i went to the shop and got a quote as i didnt have the proper fork tools. quote was 140-190 depending on if the bushings needed to be changed or not.

so i did it myself

motion pro seal driver/bullet -48

tusk wrench and cap thingy - 20

oil-15

msr seals -24

$107

bring on the next leak i am ready!!!!!

watch the video on rocky mountain as already stated , read the manual and get er done.

I read the thread. Downin said he was using the tear off to clean his seals. But that didn't seem to work. I was under the impression he had given up on this method. You mentioned using the buniness card as a better solution after that. I wasn't sure if he switched to the business card method with better results. I don't have any tear off.