HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Guest

Rattling from engine!

2 posts in this topic

I rode at Glamis this weekend for the first time and had a great time but I noticed a new noise coming from my 99'400. It didn't occur with out a load on the engine like if I rev it in neutral. It seemed to only happen in gear when at a good cruising speed/rpms for running in the dunes. It sounded like a pinging noise but it seemed to be too loud. I haven't heard my bike ping for sure though so I haven't ruled that out. I'm curious how out of adjustment the valves would have to be till they got real loud? Is there a possibility that the timing chain could have been slapping something? I haven't had the motor apart since I've owned it but I'm definately going to check the valve clearence before the next ride. Any other ideas? It's really hard to pin point where the sound was coming from since like I said it is only while riding and in only a small RPM window. I am running 92 octane gas adn it was probably 85 degrees out there this weekend but would that be enough to make the bike ping? Thanks for ideas to look for in advance!!

Khris

------------------

When in doubt, GAS IT!

I suspect it could be your CB gear key. Do a search and you will find lots of info about it.