Smelly Camelback's.....

I have a camelback and have used it for ages now but I'm still yet to find a good way to store it between rides,any ideas?

I always empty it out before storage.

(I have been putting it in the freezer to stop the mold but it still smells when you use it at first.)

Originally posted by YZR426:

I have a camelback and have used it for ages now but I'm still yet to find a good way to store it between rides,any ideas?

I always empty it out before storage.

(I have been putting it in the freezer to stop the mold but it still smells when you use it at first.)

When I store my camelbak I fill it with fresh water and put it in the fridge. Change the water everyday and you shoulden't have anymore problems.

10% bleach and water. Works great. Bleach will kill just about anything.

I empty mine, shove the tube back up inside the bladder to help keep it open enough to dry. I clean it with the bleach before every ride.

------------------

JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

I try to air out my camel back bewteen rides. Just take a plastic clothes hanger and bend it down at both ends, like you would by pulling the hook part with the horizontal bottom rod. I used a propane torch to form the plastic without causing stress cracks. Then cut the long section (on the bottom) and fold them in half (also using heat). Round all the ends nicely. This should look like a "z" shape, the tensin of the plastic will hold the bag apart and it will air out. To use, just fold up, stick it in the hole and it will expand by itself. It will take a couple times to get the hang of it,but it is worth it. You can also buy a hanger made for this through Camelback. This is of course where I got the idea... When you are done at the end of the weekend, place two effernint (sp?) tablets, you know the denture cleaner tablets. Let them soak for an hour with the water badder half full, swish it around once in a while, run some through the hose. Then rinse out good. I have also heard bleach works, but I ruined a bladder one time with too much so I won't use it again. Be very careful if using bleach. I hope this helps.

Tim

I use the freezer method, but when I leave it alone after riding for a while, then notice it is moldy, I turn the bladder inside out and scrub it with hot water and soap. I also push cotton and liquid soap through the tube with a coat hanger if the tube has that nasty black stuff in it.

i went to a local pedal bike store and the have everthing to keep your camel back clean camel pack sells a plastic hanger make for the pack that you slide inside the pack and it holds the pack open so it can dry compleatly. they also sell thier owen cleaner and brush (looks like a pipe brush one small for the tube and one big for the pack) witch works great