Considering running the WR in the snow this winter

Thinking about running the WR in the snow this winter.

Anyone else on here do this, and have any recommendations as to what stud's, pro's, con's...etc?

Most guys around here run the screw in style studs (look like sheet metal screws but with deep V's in them). I'm curious as to the "bolt in" style though....

They look a lot more....durable....lol

It would be for general winter/snow/ice trail riding, not ice racing...

Too early to talk about winter studs :ride: The screw in type will work ok but will rip out if you spin the tire. You've probably seen pictures of lag bolts in tires but thats just ridiculous IMO. I run professionally carbide studded tire that will last years (believe me) but they are expensive, however they're worth it since they last so long. Ignore what the site says about running on frozen ground, thats what everyone uses them for.

http://www.motorace.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=SWT

I was looking at those, but some serious $$$

It's not that they are probably not worth it, it's that I do not yet know if I'm going to like it....lol

If I give it a go this year, I think I'll try the screw's. If I really like it, maybe go for the professional ones next year.

I was looking at those, but some serious $$$

It's not that they are probably not worth it, it's that I do not yet know if I'm going to like it....lol

If I give it a go this year, I think I'll try the screw's. If I really like it, maybe go for the professional ones next year.

Thats probably a good idea. I'll take 60 degrees over 15 any day but when theres nothing to do for 3 months otherwise it ain't so bad.

Thinking about running the WR in the snow this winter.

Anyone else on here do this, and have any recommendations as to what stud's, pro's, con's...etc?

Most guys around here run the screw in style studs (look like sheet metal screws but with deep V's in them). I'm curious as to the "bolt in" style though....

They look a lot more....durable....lol

It would be for general winter/snow/ice trail riding, not ice racing...

I ride in the winter here in Alberta... which should start anyday now by the summer we've been having. Everyone out here runs the Trelleborgs/Mitas or a DIY solution which uses BestGrip studs. These studs are virtually the same as the Trelleborg ones except you install them yourself and can spin them out once the tire starts to wear and put them in a new tire. Thats the set up I run and no studs lost yet. But still pricey. Around $500 for a set with tires included but after that, just a new set of bare tires and swap the studs. Look them up on the web, made in Italy, also supply car rally tires etc.