Special tools

What kind of special tools will I need to work on my 426 besides the usual metric sockets, wrenches, and torque wrench? What has anyone found to make certain jobs easier?

Thanks,

KC

You don't need any special tools to work on the 426, unless you want to take the valves out of the head (requires a valve spring compresser). You will need a set of feeler gauges to check valve adjustment, but you probably already have a set of those-if not you can them anywhere. Everything else is pretty much like a 2-smoke--tools wise.

My favorite tools are my "T" handles. They make removing/installing the side panels and radiator shrouds much easier and faster. You just need to remember that it's easy to strip things with all the torque you can apply with these things. I also got a little wheel-type screw driver that fits perfect in the carb pilot fuel screw from Pro-Tec. I'd be lost without this little screwdriver. This is a very short screwdriver with a little knurled wheel mounted on the stem for gripping with your fingers. Also, the blade is made so that it fits perfectly in the cavity and you can easily feel when it slips into the screw groove.

The Pro-Tec tool is a life saver! Now if I could only find the damn thing...

------------------

JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

Originally posted by Hick:

A punch to set the sag, but I’ve got a Motion Pro “universal” spring wrench for changing springs.

Okay, okay, I use a big, long screwdriver and a big hammer. So sue me.

LOL.....Thanks Hick,

I used a brass punch with a mallet to set my sag. It didnt really bung up the ring nuts like I thought it would, but I felt like a real dumbass while I was banging away...I even closed the garage doors so the neighbors wouldnt see me taking a hammer to my new 6000.00 bike. I couldnt find a spanner or ring nut wrench at any of the local tool depts. (sears, home depot, pep boys) I guess I'll have to check with snap on or better yet harbor frieght.

Thanks Hick,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Also for the spark plug I bought a 5/8 sparkplug socket with a built in swivel at Sears that works great for getting the plug out. I combine it with an extension and it makes it very easy to change the plug. What is everyone else using for their plug? Has anyone managed to devise a system to remove the plug without removing the tank?

I just use a 10" vacumm line which fits nicely over the spark plug. I had lost that little rubber piece which fits inside the spark plug socket many moons ago, but I had to take out the tank every time....

Originally posted by enmerdeur:

Also for the spark plug I bought a 5/8 sparkplug socket with a built in swivel at Sears that works great for getting the plug out. I combine it with an extension and it makes it very easy to change the plug. What is everyone else using for their plug? Has anyone managed to devise a system to remove the plug without removing the tank?