Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moto278

10 450 cutting out

59 posts in this topic

so last night had a really scary crash on a table top. cummin up, bike cut out and died. got a lil under half a tank. never had this problem on a carbed bike. is this normal for efi bikes? i have noticed with lower fuel in the tank, it tends to cut out or bog down on hard acceleration. anyone else have this problem? or could it be a fuel pump or other problem?

I wish I could answer your question with 100% confidence but I haven't had mine long enough to see if this is the case.

Two nights ago in the sticks I got down to about 1/3 of a tank and didn't notice a cut in power at all, but I have not gotten any lower on a tank.

I could see this being an issue, most cars have baffles in the fuel tank to prevent the fuel from sloshing or going from one side of the tank to the other, allowing the pump to run dry temporarily.

Not to sure how the 2010 handles this.

You should plug in your tuner and see if a code comes up, if there was an issue with any of the units for FI an error code should stay in the ECU until you check it.

Hopefully someone else can chime in.

I ran my 2010 out of gas repeatedly when I first got it. Never had it cut out till it was totally empty, no blubbering it just stops when empty...

Check your grounds, make sure they are secure and clean.

I saw one on the left side of the frame somewhere and I remember it being really small. It was exposed and would be a good target for corrosion, water, dirt etc. Make sure it's clean and tight. I believe it was near the regulator...

If the ground comes loose while riding the bike, it will die out because your injector, fuel pump all electronics will stop working. Having a loose ground is like a switch for turning off the power to the bike when you hit a bump etc.

I could see this being an issue, most cars have baffles in the fuel tank to prevent the fuel from sloshing or going from one side of the tank to the other, allowing the pump to run dry temporarily.

Not to sure how the 2010 handles this.

You can use Anti-Slosh Tank Foam. I'm using it, it's great, the bike feels even lighter a bit. The only disadvantage: you can't see far into the tank anymore when fueling up. So i overfill mine every second time... :ride:

I dont think that gas-sloshing is your problem, but it can cause a problem in some situations of course...

thanks for the input. are the grounds in the wiring diagram in the manual (bit of a electrical newb) but that was my next thought was wiring somewhere, my friend had that same problem on his 09 kx450

Yes they are, but they do not give locations on the frame.

There is one for the ECU right up near the steering stem.

ok so im headin out to wash the bike up. then ill pull the tank off and some body work to look for grounds. from what ive read here, one near the steering stem and another near the regulator?

the ground on the steering head is tight, gona look for the other in a bit. is it possible the kill switch could be faulty and cause the problem? also, i went thru older threads. when fuel is low, and you have a harsh landing (overjump or come up short) can that damage the pump enough to cause the problem? my only problem being confused is when the tank is full, no problems. until u get under half a tank then the problem starts.

On the two strokes the kill switch was a common problem for engine dying issues, non-starting etc.

It would be a good idea to disconnect it and go for a ride and see how she fairs.

my mates 2010 does the same hing some times. ive crashed when it stalled on me causing only minor scratches thankfully. think it might be a efi thing.

think he needs to up the rpms to keep it from happening, just an idea.

I thought it could be the mapping. Could be lean or rich but Thad weird how it does that at half tank

Check your fuel filter. This was a common problem with the 2009 crf450. The tell-tale symptom is that it only cuts out under acceleration.

Actually, I'm looking at the online fiche , and I don't see a fuel filter? It may be built into the pump - which really sucks since it's a nearly $300 part.

i was going to say i havent seen a filter. i pull the pump out about once a month now to spray down with carb cleaner. just to b sure its clean. im gona replace the kill switch. and double check all wiring and grounds to see if there are any broken connections. my friend with the 09 kx450f found some wires along the frame that had rubbed the protective coating off and bare wires were showing

Check your fuel filter. This was a common problem with the 2009 crf450. The tell-tale symptom is that it only cuts out under acceleration.

Actually, I'm looking at the online fiche , and I don't see a fuel filter? It may be built into the pump - which really sucks since it's a nearly $300 part.

Most likely it is a very small gauge screen that is in the pickup ports for the pump on the inside of the tank. Meaning they can be cleaned.

If you've ever taken apart a petcock for a yz250 before you will see that there is a very very fine mesh that acts as a fuel filter for the carb. I'm guessing it's the same thing.

Won't know until you take it apart :ride:

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable using carb cleaner on a plastic fuel pump. I think most carb cleaners contain solvents that will damage plastic/o-rings...

Use intake medic, or use your hands. Most of the time the gunk is bugs, lint, leaves etc. The screen is too pourous to pick up small particles of dirt.

Intake medic is sensor safe for FI that's why there is carb medic and intake medic in a can, two different application uses.

1 person likes this