When does a YZ450F need a top end or rebuild?

I have an 03 YZ450F with about 100 hours on it and it just popped the head gasket. Otherwise it was still running fine. At this point what should I do to it to fix it? A local dealer told me to rebuild the whole motor but a friend says to replace the piston and rings, and keep riding it. It's ridden at a MX track by a vet rider. I've had it since new and have maintained it well. Thanks.

Rebuilding the whole motor is not a cost effective option for an 03. Piston rings and cam chain is a good option. if the valves are needing replacement you may want to just look for a new bike.

Rebuilding the whole motor is not a cost effective option for an 03. Piston rings and cam chain is a good option. if the valves are needing replacement you may want to just look for a new bike.

I usually scrap my bikes when the nubs wear off the tires.:ride: Nothing wrong with putting a few hundred in a good reliable bike you know the history off. Besides everything is probably still in spec but I would do the piston and rings since I was going to have it apart anyway.

Thanks.