51 or 52t

Opinions on going from the stock 50t to a 51-52t sprocket on a 09 WR450. Looking for a little more low end grunt.

Drop one tooth on the front. going one bigger on the rear will be hardly noticeable.

51 works for me. However I will be trying a 52 to see if I can get 3rd gear to pull a little harder off the bottom just for Enduros. For just all-around trail riding, 51 seems to be the best compromise for me. It's just me, but I always leave the front at the stock size. My chain slider and swingarm don't get chewed up as much and I find the front sprocket to last much longer at the stock size.

I tried 52 on my 06 and didn't like it. It made first useless because it was too hard to get traction in wet conditions. 51 may be good though. Not sure if stock gearing is the same on 06 and 09 though.

I run 52 on my 07 and luv it. can run most trails in second but when you need to crawl first is slow and low.. Still runs 70+ on top

I went 51 on the rear sprocket of my 2008 (same internal gearing as your bike). I had a 52 on my 2006 and I had to add a chain link and it dropped top speed down too much even for an old guy like me. By the way, one tooth smaller on the front is equal to approximately 4 teeth bigger on the rear. Don't go to a smaller front sprocket, it will result in a way too low first gear.

I tried 52 on my 06 and didn't like it. It made first useless because it was too hard to get traction in wet conditions. 51 may be good though. Not sure if stock gearing is the same on 06 and 09 though.

Hey,

Its not the same. In fact the whole gearbox is different.

I would also go with a 13 upfront.

I run 13-50 on my 06 and from the stock 14-50 its a great improvement. Top end is down to about 70max. I hardly ride there in the rocky bits anyhow.

one tooth! - bugger all difference!

Amazing how different everyone feels...I went to a 12 front on my 07 and love it. It's definitely not too low, still wish I could lug it even more. Haven't seen any abnormal wear and it's much cheaper mod.

yeah on the front maybe. one tooth on the back. bugger all.

I only go to a 52 when I am going to ride in Moab. I feel you lose too much top end with that big sucker on the back.

I run 13 / 52 on my 09 and I am very happy with it. It allows me to do most of my trail riding in third and then drop to 2nd for climbs and still have one more gear to drop down to if things get really sticky. Overall I shift less and down stall. With stock gearing I always felt like I wanted to ride "between" gears - 2nd was too low and 3rd was too high.

YMMV

13/52 on my 03, loads of torque and still has a decent top end.