HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
climaxx dirtbikes

New 07 450 knocking...?

15 posts in this topic

I changed the oil for the third time with non-syn recently and put a new aluminum skid plate on. I expected a little more engine noise but not this loud knock. Is this normal because of the skid plate. Oil level is perfect and still really fresh only 4 hrs on it.

I'll go out on a limb here and gurantee that what you are hearing is your chain slapping on the swingarm slider. Make sure your chain is properly adjusted.

My '09 WR450 sounds like a rock crusher at idle compared to other bikes...but runs like a dream. Seems all 4 stroke Yammies are like that. I've had Yamahas for 30+ years and they all sound like that.

Mine sounds like a rock crusher too. The sticky says this is normal unless there is a big hole in the case to let rocks in.

I have a new 2008 (about 12 hrs) with an aluminum skid plate - with the same noise. Kind of a heavy knocking which is worse when the clutch is engaged (lever out). Took the plate off for the oil change - rode around the yard and it was much quieter.

Figure it's the normal noise- and I'll have to get used to it (or get some ear plugs!)