Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
delmas

suspension

7 posts in this topic

I used a bucket of gasoline and let it dry, works very well.

I took my inner and outer fork tubes stripped and dunked them in, and cleaned them out by pushing paper towel wads through them.

I use either brake or carb cleaner, a bigger can will usually be enough for me to clean everything in the forks & shock.

and cleaned them out by pushing paper towel wads through them.

I do the same thing.

Maxima has a product called suspension clean that cleans the parts without damaging any of the rubber or plastic parts.

thanks for the info

Never, never, ever use gasoline as a cleaning solvent. Apart from being ridiculously flammable, most modern pump gasolines have additives that are very toxic, and should not be allowed in contact with your skin (or the interior of your lungs as a vapor) for any reason. Ethanol and MTBE are just two of them. Both are absorbed through the skin into any tissue they come in contact with. Then there's the issue of its assault on your parts.

Stoddard solvent (shop solvent), which can be hard to find in smaller quantities, or Mineral Spirits, which is available at almost every hardware or paint store, are far better choices. Always allow it to dry well before reassembling.

Gasoline works, works very well but yes gray you are 100% right.

I've used bare hands with it and have found no ill-effects, but the fumes really get to your head even if your outside it's hard on the body.

I shouldn't have recommended it, just one spark and your on fire! lol. However if you feel risky and you have nothing else, it does work as a cleaner.

Varsol is a great solvent, used to use it in hot tanks in shop class to clean all sorts of things. Simple green is another, both are far less toxic than gasoline.