HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nugie

Yz 426 valves

12 posts in this topic

I just put a hot cams 450 ex cam in my 02 426. Running great just wanted to check my valve clearence. What should everything be?

Thanks Grey, So I just slide the feeler gauge in between the lobe of the cam and the top of the lifter to check for clearance correct ?

One thing I got confused with when checking valves is how much resistance the feeler gauge should have when you slide it in and out underneath the lobe..

Would it be best to shim the valve so that the feeler gauge will not fit, then move one size down at a time until it just slides in but has resistance???

New to this, thanks for your patience.

The gauge that just fits with a light drag is the correct size. You can wedge a gauge in that's bigger than the actual clearance and lift the valve off its seat a little.

Try the right side lobes that you can actually see first to get the idea.

The gauge that just fits with a light drag is the correct size. You can wedge a gauge in that's bigger than the actual clearance and lift the valve off its seat a little.

Try the right side lobes that you can actually see first to get the idea.

+1 their should be a light drag on the feeler gauge

No it does not bump it up to a 450, The mod is simply done to delete the annoying start procedure of having to use the decomp

Can you give me some info or a link for those cams? Does that bump it up to a 450?

No, the 450 cam does not make a 426 a 450:lol: All it does is take away the manual decomp.

Alright guys my clearance is suppose to be .20-.25mm on the exhaust . I have .356mm clearance on each with a 2.20 shim on 1 and a 2.25 on the other.What shims do I have to replace these ones with ?

.356 measured minus .25 desired max equals .106

.356 measured minus .20 desired max equals .156

Adding .106 to the existing 2.20 shim yields 2.306 new minimum shim size

Adding .156 to the existing 2.20 shim yields 2.356 new maximum shim size

You do the other one.