HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wmp114

05 WR450 surging issue

4 posts in this topic

Have recently encountered surging with throttle off either at idle or backing off at speed. It seems to be getting worse by the day (have to keep my finger close to the kill switch). It starts O.K. and will idle after warmed up. Have checked venting, fuel flow, float level, throttle cable, spark plug (good color). This bike was running fine until recently. It is if a shot of gas is getting past the carb. after backing off the throttle. Have checked for vacuum leaks on carb. but nothing found. The bike will not start when hot until I pull out the choke completely and push it back in. Any clues?

my guess is your jetting is off . mine surges bad at mid thottle until I get the jetting right. try putting your needle down a clip , and see if it gets better or worst. it could also be dirt in your carb.

FYI - Jetting does not suddenly change. I suggest you look for the cause.

Based on lowering the needle a position leads me to think the needle jet emulsion tube is worn. This causes the bike to be richer and you lowering the needle, leaned things somewhat. I suspect if you very carefully inspect the tube, you'll find the hole is slightly oval.