2010 yz450f airfilter maintainence

Just wondering, since the airfilter is located up top, in front of the gas tank, it is suppose to be easier maintained so you odnt have to clean it as much, so anyone who has a 2010 yz450f that rides in dusty conditions, doe sit have to be maintained as much as any other dirtbike where the airfilter in near the rear wheel.

Clean the air filter after EVERY ride. The stock filter has a lot less surface area than the older style. It gets dirty quickly. Spend a few $$$ and buy a spare or two and it isn't much trouble. It is not as easy to get to as the other bikes, but it isn't hard. You have two more bolts to take out and you have to support the tank.

I'll take your advice, i already clean mine as much as it needs, but would you say you dont have to clean it as much as any other bike?

I'll take your advice, i already clean mine as much as it needs, but would you say you dont have to clean it as much as any other bike?

With my experience with it........No! it doesnt get as dirty as the other filters did. I have noticed when the track gets real dusty and there is several bikes kicking up a lot of dust you would think the filter would be dark brown.

I rode when it was real dusty and to my surpries the filter only had dust/dirt only at about the middle of the filter on down toward the bottom. Had a little at the top but more spread out in that area and not as thick like at the middle and bottom.

These filters IMO do stay a little more cleaner than the raised type that are on earlier models. However I do change mine after every ride unless it is pretty damp at the tracks and the filter doesnt get but just a little flakes of dirt on it and then I just leave it in until the next ride.

I appreciate the help, thanks!

I clean mine every 6-8 rides.

I clean mine every 6-8 rides.

wow thats impressive if it stays that clean for that many rides! I ususally clean mine before each race, and about every 2-3 practices pending on how dusty it is.. But I'm not on a new yam either.. Pretty cool to see it stay that clean for sure! Kinda makes me want one a little more now...:banana:

The only way that would be possible is if he rides alone on well watered tracks only, or he's so fast that he's always in front.

i know its been brought up earlier, but thos of you with the new 450, have you kept the 'pre filter'? or takin it out yet? i take mine out to clean it every so often, but every time i clean the filter i debate leaving that tiny little pre filter out. any thoughts? i run a twin air filter and thinking about the dt1 over cage filter.

i know its been brought up earlier, but thos of you with the new 450, have you kept the 'pre filter'? or takin it out yet? i take mine out to clean it every so often, but every time i clean the filter i debate leaving that tiny little pre filter out. any thoughts? i run a twin air filter and thinking about the dt1 over cage filter.

I do the same as you and if the dt1 wasnt so expensive and if I hadnt all ready have bought four extra filters (5 all together) I would have purchased the dt1.

well i saw on the pitposse site they also have an over the cage filter for 30 bucks or somthing? (dont quote me on it, might be more/less) has anyone used any of their filters on other bikes? i dont wana try it and it be a dud haha

Did the DT1 filter make any noticible difference in performance?

I have the DT-1's. Still need the other filter because a little debris falls off the filter during removal.

Did the DT1 filter make any noticible difference in performance?

No, but when a stock filter would get packed, the DT1 has a lot more surface area to keep flowing.

The only way that would be possible is if he rides alone on well watered tracks only, or he's so fast that he's always in front.

Well if I'm racing its a different story, but typically on practice days the tracks are low on dust, and its summer so they're aren't a ton of riders on the track (maybe 5-8 on a good day) Still doesn't get all that dirty even when I'm running practice motos with people

So can you buy one of the over the cage filters from Pitt-Posse and that is all you need. The rod still goes over the top of the filter to hold it down "right".

Like to see this type of filter on someones bike. Can anyone take a picture of it on their bike.

Edited by CaptainKnobby

I recommend leaving the pre filter and the screen in. Also I recommend cleaning your filter after every ride and taking the entire air box off and cleaning it after every two rides. Once you pull the air box off and look at all the dirt entering your throttle body, you will thank me.

Why not use the GYTR filters??? They are about half the price of the other ones......Do they filter that much better???

Why not use the GYTR filters??? They are about half the price of the other ones......Do they filter that much better???

I'm currently using the gytr filters that I purchased for 12.54 through https://www.zanottimotor.com/ and I'm happy with them. I clean mine after every ride and notice that most of the dirt tends to build up on the bottom couple inches of the filter but its not excessive.