Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bikerdude11

Brake Cleaner vs. Engine Degreaser

18 posts in this topic

Is there much of a difference? I have seen cleaners such as Brake & Parts Cleaner, which you can use on brakes and other parts. I have a can of Honda Engine Degreaser and was wondering if it is safe to use on brakes?

Engine degreaser is a different animal. Think of it as that hand cleaner (They call it Goop around here) but for your engine. It leaves a shiny/oily coat after you wash it off so I would not recommend it for cleaning brakes.

Okay, thanks. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea, so I'll get some actual brake cleaner to use.

yea use either brake or carb cleaner. Brake cleaner is a bit cheaper most of the time.

Engine degreaser is usually based in kerosene or diesel fuel to 'soften up' the crusted on grease and crud so it can be washed away.

This is bad for brakes.

Stick to brake cleaner for brakes, carb cleaner for carbs, and degreasers for your hair after auditioning for Jersey Shore.

Hahaha, thanks for the advice! Brake cleaner is safer to use in carbs though, correct? Carb cleaner will eat away at some of the parts?

brake cleaner is some strong stuff, if your in california they denutted it, but the rest of us can still buy the good stuff with chlorine in it

Denutted?

california banned the good stuff and they have shitty weak brake cleaner, they cut the nuts off of it

Hahaha, thanks for the advice! Brake cleaner is safer to use in carbs though, correct? Carb cleaner will eat away at some of the parts?

Brake cleaner is really harsh on plastics and rubber items. It will melt plastics like an oven (if you have the good stuff). Remember, your float is made of plastic.

Brake cleaner is really harsh on plastics and rubber items. It will melt plastics like an oven (if you have the good stuff). Remember, your float is made of plastic.

Did you mean brake cleaner or carb cleaner? Would brake cleaner be safe to use on the carburetor jets when I pull them out?

ok so I got a question... is there anything that will leave the surface 100% clean and free of anything, even after the "spray" has evaporated?

I dont think its brake clean... I had a friend clean a glass ornament that had water with brake clean and it kinda left an oily/cloudy flim on the surface of the glass. kinda makes you wonder what it leaves elsewhere.

Did you mean brake cleaner or carb cleaner? Would brake cleaner be safe to use on the carburetor jets when I pull them out?

Brake cleaner is OK on jets, just keep it away from your gaskets, o-rings and float.

ok so I got a question... is there anything that will leave the surface 100% clean and free of anything, even after the "spray" has evaporated?

I dont think its brake clean... I had a friend clean a glass ornament that had water with brake clean and it kinda left an oily/cloudy flim on the surface of the glass. kinda makes you wonder what it leaves elsewhere.

You 100% sure it was glass? It wasn't plastic of one type or another?

Brake cleaner is OK on jets, just keep it away from your gaskets, o-rings and float.

You 100% sure it was glass? It wasn't plastic of one type or another?

yes it was 100% glass

Edited by yz144builderlol

Be real, real careful applying flame to anything that has been cleaned with chlorinated brake cleaner.

The flame can actually convert the residual chlorine into phosgene (a real nasty gas that has been used as a chemical weapon).

There have been cases reported of people suffering severe nerve damage and injury to mucous membranes after they cleaned a surface that they were going to weld with chlorinated brake cleaner.

Be real, real careful applying flame to anything that has been cleaned with chlorinated brake cleaner.

The flame can actually convert the residual chlorine into phosgene (a real nasty gas that has been used as a chemical weapon).

There have been cases reported of people suffering severe nerve damage and injury to mucous membranes after they cleaned a surface that they were going to weld with chlorinated brake cleaner.

damn... that sounds nasty. youd think they would warn you of that right on the front of the bottle?

^ You're being funny right.

Use only in well ventilated areas

Keep away from heat and sources of ignition

Do not spray on a naked flame or incandescent material.

Do not pierce or burn aerosols, even after use.

Do not breathe aerosols or vapours.

Avoid contact with skin and eyes.