on the yz400/426 on correct riding.

lets say on a long straight of a mx

track do you pin it long? back off the

throttle pull in clutch then shift let out

and twist?i know not to use the clutch

that much on a four stroke but need basic

staight away shifting advice. thanks guys

katoomkid@aol.com 98 yz400f

The same basic techniques work on two strokes and the YZF's. The idea of minimizing clutch use on the YZF's refers to slipping it in corners.

do u lot use the clutch when shifting up?

KatoomKid,

My advice is this:

On a two stroke, most inexperienced riders over rev the heck out of them and don't stay in the "meat" of the power. You also have to use the clutch much more on a two stroke since they tend not to have the low end power of a four stroke, so it requires a little help to keep the rev's where they produce the best power.

But, on your 400, you can use 3rd and 4th gear on most straights, staying in the "meat" of the power. On my 426, I could go real easy on the shifting without abusing the clutch and it worked great. **Always try to use the clutch when shifting up, but when shifting down, I usually never used the clutch. The reason is because when your shifting up, the engine is usually under load and this isn't a time not to use the clutch. But, when shifting down, your usually off the gas, so the tranny can take it just fine. Just try to keep the bike in the "meat" of the power, so the bike isn't screaming like a broken chainsaw and it's not lugging like a locomotive. Hope this helps.

Daveyg

Originally posted by sandracer_uk:

do u lot use the clutch when shifting up?

no not alot but i tend not to

shift like a madman like hammering

the gears. am i right.or should i just

hammer the gears up without the clutch pull?

i know i sound lame.