2005 yz450f weakest engine??

back in 05 their engine was just as powerful as the other 05s. Now some are saying the newer models are less powerful than the other new bikes, but unless your a pro you probably wont notice this plus you probably wont be using all the power anyway cause 450s are beast. so if you like the bike get it. wanna go faster learn to turn better.

yeah power means nothing most of the time. is a 48HP 450 going to have faster lap times than a 45HP 450? not necessarily.

I ride with a guy who rides a 2008 yz 125. he has proper tires, suspension, and a steering stabilizer, exhaust and possibly reeds. not many engine mods, pretty stock, and he is FAST. I believe he is a top 8 (out of 30 or so) intermediate hairscramble rider. he woulf FLY by anyone riding a 450 or any big bike. piston displacement/horsepower isnt necessarily what gets fast lap times.

dont let that discourage you from buying it. yamaha is among the top 3 best brands along with KTM and Honda IMO (not trying to start a debate).

BUT, if I remember correctly, my friend had an 05 yz450f.. maybe it was older. but it had a 4 speed tranny. kinda weird to me as I love the 5 speed but everyone's different. and im pretty sure the 05 4 stroke yamahas are in steel frames still.

the 05 yz 2 strokes had an aluminum frame, but the 05 yamaha 4 strokes didnt get aluminum frame until 06 if I remember correctly... not bad for a honda guy!

back in 05 their engine was just as powerful as the other 05s. Now some are saying the newer models are less powerful than the other new bikes, but unless your a pro you probably wont notice this plus you probably wont be using all the power anyway cause 450s are beast. so if you like the bike get it. wanna go faster learn to turn better.

I agree with this. The idea is to have a lot of room to grow in the power department. I have had some '04 crf 450's, and both had plenty of power for me. I guess I just don't want to be dissapointed when I ride as far as power is concerned.

I'm not saying I need MORE, but part of the "charm" in having a 450, to me, is that thrill of never being able to ride the bike to it's full potential. I LIKE to be overwhelmed in the power department. I hope this makes some sense. :banana:

I agree with this. The idea is to have a lot of room to grow in the power department. I have had some '04 crf 450's, and both had plenty of power for me. I guess I just don't want to be dissapointed when I ride as far as power is concerned.

I'm not saying I need MORE, but part of the "charm" in having a 450, to me, is that thrill of never being able to ride the bike to it's full potential. I LIKE to be overwhelmed in the power department. I hope this makes some sense. :banana:

ive ridden both. all 450s haul ass equally. some might perform 2% better or worse than the other... not many, if any, of us here on TT could tell the diff between a 45 and a 46HP engine... throw a new/proper tire and proper suspension on a stock yz450 (weakest 450 stock... or so they say), and get it race against a highly engine modded ktm 450 (most powerful stock) that has shit tires and suspension and see who wins the overall race..

I know what you mean, I am also a power freak. but stock bikes are all the same, dont worry about one being incredibally stronger than the other.. its not gonna happen. + the 4 speed trannies have a very fast 1st gear. the first gear on a 05 yz450f (if its a 4 speed) is almost like other 450s 2nd gear.

To me its how the power is delivered,I like a strong bottom end and I was disappointed when I got my 06yz450 and i'm still disappointed today,just doesn't have that snap,and they say its the better motor of all of them, doesn't get me excited about getting a new one..oh yeah I hate bottom only bikes as well...anyway power placement and riding style have allot to do with lap times.

I bought an '05 new and rode it for three years before selling it to a friend. It has plenty of power. The 4 speed is not a problem unless you are crusing fire roads at 60 mph all day. I used stock gearing (14/51) for desert riding. First gear can seem tall in some sketchy slow hill climbs, but is by no means equal to 2nd of my '09 YZ450. The bike now has about 250 hours on it. The only problem has been a water pump seal at about 200 hours. I doesn't turn as well as the '09 but the '05 is super stable at speed. It's a great all around bike.

I have an 05 and I love it. I bought it with a after market CDI box and from what I have read about stock 05's I think it made a huge difference, it runs like an animal. I do wish it had a 5 speed, but the 4 speed isn't a problem. I am running 14/50 gears and all I do is desert. I am able to out run my brothers 04 crf 450 on top speed, and still do nasty slow stuff.