All DMV Experts Please Read (and answer)

I have a line on a WR that has been plated for street use in Arizona, I want to bring it into Cali for a friend, what hoops will they (DMV) make us jump through to get it registered here in Cali ?

The purchase of this bike depends on those answers....is it possible or a whole lot of hassle?

Thanks!

I went this route with my 98 WR 400.

Current DMV rules are a non-emission compliant vehicle can be brought into CA providing its used and has over 7500 miles on a non-resetable odometer.

The DMV is now checking for the EPA/Federal Noise compliance sticker on the front down tube near the steering head. All the WR`s have this sticker unless it's from Canada.

Be sure your buying a used bike with a AZ MOTORCYCLE TITLE and not a off road registration and the off road plate.

On top of all this you got to have all the working Dual Sport lights, Horn and turn signals with rearview mirror.

I also recommmend using a DMV broker so you don't have to stand in line. I can recommend one in Huntington Beach. They have done my last 2 WR's

YOUR BEST BET IS KEEP THE BIKE AS A AZ. STREET LEGAL BIKE. BECAUSE ONCE IT GETS HERE IT GOES RED STICKER. THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE ON THE HILLS THAT HAVE THIS BIKE WITH A PLATE. BUT ITS NOT A CA. PLATE AZ,NV,VT,WA. KEEP IT AZ. AND ENJOY IT IN CA. THIS GOES OUT TO THE DMV :)

I'm no expert, but if the bike is 2002 or older you should not have any problems. The only thing the DMV will want to see is proof of ins. and they will want a VIN verification done( this is required for any vehicle transfered from another state). This does not have any bearing on the legality of the bike. This can be done by any cop,CHP or the DMV themselves. If the bike is an 03 you may not be able to d/s in Ca. I'm not sure but it may help if the current title says MC instead of MX. Good luck.

Earlier this year I bought a 99 wr 400 with oregon street tilte. The dmv did a transfer of title, I didn't show a motorcycle license, or proof of insurance, nor did I have it street legal at the time and I still walked out of the dmv after 20 minutes with a brand new california plate. The dmv clerk told me I was transfering a oregon street bike to a california street bike, make sure that is what the title says, she also said it was up to me to be legal she didn't care one way or the other. SOunds like you guys need to drive up to nor cal where the dmv is still run be hill billys :):D :D :D

Are you guys certain that you have to have a cop, CHP, etc. do the VIN verification in California? Here in Colorado, that's what they make you think but you can go to any place that does emmissions and have the form completed there as well.

The dmv did my vin check. The only time that I am aware of that the chp needs to do a vin check is the first time an off road bike is registered as a street bike. Like someone else said as long as it is an 02 or older you won't have a problem, but even if it is an 03 that is currently street titled and has over 7500 miles it is considered used and that is the loop hole in the california law and I don't think they can do squat at that point.

It is a lot easier than you think since the law changed in March. If you want to call, I can walk you through it.

Dale

661-268-1094