HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zach164

YZ250 guys, what tire pressure?

13 posts in this topic

What tire pressure are you guys running for intermediate terrain motocross tracks on YZ250's?

Damn you guys run alot I always thought 7 was the ticket and 9 was high! LOL Guess ill have to rethink my pressures

Damn you guys run alot I always thought 7 was the ticket and 9 was high! LOL Guess ill have to rethink my pressures

Depends on the tire gauge! I've seen 3 to 5lbs, between different tire gauges. Buy a good gauge, then test to that gauge to find the best pressure. On my gauge (blue point low press dial gauge) 12.5 to 14lbs works great.

Brent is pretty close. 13 is about as low as you want to go to avoid pinch flats. The faster you are, the more you weigh, the rockier the track, the closer you need to be to 15psi. 12-13 for mud and sand. This is for current MX type tires such as the Dunlop mx 51. I am a 200 pound intermediate and I can almost guarantee a flat with less than 12psi in dry conditions.

Honestly anything lower than 13 I feel like the tire 'may' roll off the rim. Also when I hit larger rocks I cringe cause you can hear the rim making contact!!!

For me, at least the way I ride in the woods, 13 is perfect, anything lower and you're going to wreck something.

What tire pressure are you guys running for intermediate terrain motocross tracks on YZ250's?

I ride 12 front and rear on intermediate terrain.

MAX!!!

I run 14 front, 12.5-14 rear depending on how the track condition is wet/ dry.

As others said, depends on the tires and gauge. Terrain and tubes play a roll as well.

With something like a Maxxis Desert IT rear I might run as low as 8-9 psi with slimed up ultra hd tubes. Only one pinch flat, and nothing was going to survive hitting that buried water tank, cut both tires wide open.

Typically I'll run 10-12 psi rear, and 13.5-15 psi front.

EVERY Dunlop Tire truck I see at the races lists 14. Tires feel squirmy to me under 13 lbs.

And as you know..all the top racers use the exact same dunlop tire we buy......yea, sure they do......No, I think there are so many tuning options available that I stay stuck on suspension and such before I spend much time on tires.

Oh, I use nitrogen. It does not leak out between rides and stays cool. Top riders like myself hate heated tires increasing pressure..LOL