Supermotoing a 2008 WR450F

Just a coupole of quick question I have. I understand wheels from 2003-2008 will fit my bike. Will the speedo work still? I know the wheel size will be smaller but the hub part number is the same on the yamaha parts website.

Also will the sidestand be too long??

Can I use a braking 4pot caliper with the standard master cyclinder?

any help thankfully received....

Mr B

If you use OEM front hub laced to 17" rim, then you can keep your speedo/tripmeter working. Aftermarket hub will not have the notched washer at the hub bearing to activate the mechanics of the speedo/tripmeter.

I keep the OEM sidestand on my 04 WR, I am careful wherever I park, make sure there is enough lean to keep bike secure.

If ou can find a caliper that fits the brake mounting points, or a proper adaptor, you can use any pot caliper, just make sure there is enought space between rotor, caliper and forkleg.

IMG_3008.jpg

I have '07WR in SM trim, wheels will fit, my SM hubs are excells with no speedo fittings so I had to fit Vapor but it is so good I wouldn't swap back, had to grind off the end tip of the sidestand to make it safe with 17" wheels, I have 4 pot Braking caliper too, kinda works with stock master cylinder but is very soft, you should get 16mm diameter master to make it work as designed

yes you can fit wheels from older wr's and yz i think its 99 to 08 . if i remember right , but you may need to make spacers to make them fit right . the stock speedo will only work on a wr hub . no big deal because it sucks anyhow , vapors are much better . they have temp, speedo ,tach ,time , elapsed time , trip meter and a real odometer . "instead of the stupid yamaha one that resets after 999.9 miles at least thats the way it is here in the states . As far as the 4 pot brake goes they suck with the stock lever . you would be better off with the whole stock setup adapted with a 320 mm rotor . or a whole real brake setup either one . the stock lever is just not enough to make it work right.

yes the kickstand is a bit too long too, but it does work. i cut an inch out of the middle of mine and welded it back together . i don't anybody makes a direct replacement shorter kick stand for a wr .but I think you can make a yz one work

yes you can fit wheels from older wr's and yz i think its 99 to 08 . if i remember right , but you may need to make spacers to make them fit right . the stock speedo will only work on a wr hub . no big deal because it sucks anyhow , vapors are much better . they have temp, speedo ,tach ,time , elapsed time , trip meter and a real odometer . "instead of the stupid yamaha one that resets after 999.9 miles at least thats the way it is here in the states . As far as the 4 pot brake goes they suck with the stock lever . you would be better off with the whole stock setup adapted with a 320 mm rotor . or a whole real brake setup either one . the stock lever is just not enough to make it work right.

yes the kickstand is a bit too long too, but it does work. i cut an inch out of the middle of mine and welded it back together . i don't anybody makes a direct replacement shorter kick stand for a wr .but I think you can make a yz one work

Welcome back! It's been awhile...where've you been?

i was ignoring my wr . I had a very long series of stupid issues with it's yearly overhaul . starting with me killing bambi with it ,and going for the 60 mph tumble down the road. I didn't really get hurt much neither did the wr . surprisingly the only real damage was a broken front fender and a bit of roadrash on the plastics . but then I decided to go over it from stem to stern and had the wrong parts time and time and time again . it put it together wrong once . blew the starter up . I ended up so mad about it as the riding season slipped away. I when and got me a new cbr 1000 ,to fill the void until the wr decided to get it's act back together. anyhow it's back on the road now . it not quite tuned in right but it's back out there.

you do need to hold them out a little when installing the screws on the the yz ones . but they do fit much better . lite trim only ( maybe the white ones i have needed no trim the black ones needed a little off the in side) no heat gun required either way